Vista search does not find all files when searching for text inside file RRS feed

• General discussion

• When searching for text within a file the result was 3 files when there should have been 20.  The searching location was indexed.  As a troubleshooting I re-indexed the entire drive.  Files are now found instantly thanks to the index and this works on either doc or docx format.  However, when checking the box to search non-indexed locations, and to search text inside files ONLY the docx files were found, doc are not.   It appears the index database gets corrupted over time and the serach functions differently wether it relys on the index database or performs a more regerous manual search.  However, the results of the manual search are more limited then the index database.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 5:35 PM

All replies

• I've run into problems searching text files (.txt) on a network share (non-indexed search).  I search for a word or phrase, and if the word/phrase is close to the beginning of the file, it is found.  If it's further down in the file, it is not found.  If I search for a longer word or phrase, I also have problems.  Not sure if anyone else has seen this. 

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:10 PM
  • I am also finding Vista search problems.

I have just finished a doc file, closed it, and then went to open it again. But its not showing in recent docs.

Did a search not there. OH no!! what have I done.

Manually search with explorer and there it is.

The document is entitled 'Invoice 0178' search for 0178 in documents >result nothing.

Expand search to look in non-indexed, hidden, and system files. And it is found straight away.

Search for 0177 (the previous invoice) no need to expand the search!!!

Not for the first time I have thought that important files have bben lost.

What is the point of a search, that cannot find everything, in front of its face.

I hated going from 98 to XP, but oh my Vista. What a load of ....

Sunday, March 9, 2008 5:56 PM