none
Exchange Disk space issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have Exchange 2003 SP 2 servers and we are continue facing disk space issue

because of we do not have any Mailbox limitation, due to this we are facing issue with Disk space.

Also due to business requirement we are not able to do database defragment

Is there any way to do online Maintaince or what steps should we do for disk management or maintaince.

Regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:55 AM

Answers

• Is there any way to do online Maintaince or what steps should we do for disk management or maintaince.

Your Online Maintenance will not reduce the database size on physical disk but it can help in internally organizing database so that the internal space would be used for a while before the database starts growing further. Online maintenance would run every night between 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM you need to make sure there no backups scheduled between that time and any other third-party tool configured during that time for it to finish sucessfully.

My suggestions

1.       If there is business requirement because of which you are not able to run the offline defrag why can’t you buy some additional disk these days they are not that costly.

2.       Although I am not aware of the deleted item retention  in your organization but reducing that time from default 14 days to something lower and waiting for online maintenance to run would give you some space but CAUTION: Not the best option but could be last option.

3.       As suggested check the log file size try to run the backup to purge the logs. 

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP: EMA 2010/2007 | MCTS: MES 2010/2007, OCS 2007 | MCSA: M+S | MCSE: M+S
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• 1) What is the size of exchange database ? ,also white space ?

2) Check the Event Id 1216 to check the database size and event id 1221 to check the white space .

3) Have you taken the backup of exchange database to purge the old log files ?

4) which version of exchange server are you using (Standard / enterprise) ?

Viral Rathod Blog : http://viralr.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:57 AM
    • Is there any way to do online Maintaince or what steps should we do for disk management or maintaince.

Your Online Maintenance will not reduce the database size on physical disk but it can help in internally organizing database so that the internal space would be used for a while before the database starts growing further. Online maintenance would run every night between 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM you need to make sure there no backups scheduled between that time and any other third-party tool configured during that time for it to finish sucessfully.

My suggestions

1.       If there is business requirement because of which you are not able to run the offline defrag why can’t you buy some additional disk these days they are not that costly.

2.       Although I am not aware of the deleted item retention  in your organization but reducing that time from default 14 days to something lower and waiting for online maintenance to run would give you some space but CAUTION: Not the best option but could be last option.

3.       As suggested check the log file size try to run the backup to purge the logs. 

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP: EMA 2010/2007 | MCTS: MES 2010/2007, OCS 2007 | MCSA: M+S | MCSE: M+S
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Hi Viral,

Thanks for ur reply

See Ans below:

1: Datbase sizes starting from 150 GB

2:Ok  I will check

3:Backup has been taken , Purging i will have to check

4: Enterprise

Regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:25 PM