Windows 7 on SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to migrate my Windows 7 system files to an SSD drive.  In reading the forum, it recommends a clean install.  My problem is that I have an Acer computer that came with Windows 7 and they do not provide a copy of Windows to do a clean install.  I did get a disk repair and disk image.  When I try to use this to reimage the drive, the repair program does not recognize the SSD drive.  If I have the old drive in and the SSD it only shows the old drive as available for the install.  If I remove the old drive, it will not show either as available for the reimage.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:27 PM

Answers

• You need to clone the installation to the new SSD.

See http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7s-own-software or (much easier) use a trial copy of Acronis True Image Home 2012.

Note that immediately after cloning you must shut down and disconnect the original installation. The disk can be reconnected once the SSD has booted successfully.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:05 PM

See http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7s-own-software or (much easier) use a trial copy of Acronis True Image Home 2012.

Note that immediately after cloning you must shut down and disconnect the original installation. The disk can be reconnected once the SSD has booted successfully.

I agree with dominic second suggestion, Acronis makes the process quick and easy. Worked perfectly for myself plenty of times.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

I agree with dominic second suggestion, Acronis makes the process quick and easy. Worked perfectly for myself plenty of times.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:48 PM
  • SSDs have some complexity to them, though.  There are alignment issues and system optimizations.  I would go through and install a slipstreamed SP1 image so Windows can configure everything for you.  MSDN provides the ISO images free of charge, you just need your license key.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:00 PM