"Some setting are managed by your organization" is displayed by error in Windows 10 Settings. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10, Settings

"Some setting are managed by your organization."

This is displayed by a Windows System Bug/Error.

Clean Install, My personal PC, Owned by me and built by me alone.

Signed in by Microsoft Account.

WTF?

Saturday, August 8, 2015 11:43 PM

Answers

• WTF indeed.  :)

Are you using this at all for work in the sense that you're authenticating to an organizational account for something like Office 365?  Or allowing your company to deploy apps and configuration to it through mobile device management (MDM)?  Even though it's your own PC and you sign in with a Microsoft Account, you still could be allowing some policies to be applied to your machine through company MDM.

If not, then I suspect it's just a bug.. a notification that was meant to be a reminder that there may be settings in a corporate environment that will not be available for you to configure. 

Another question: Are you actually seeing any settings that are greyed out or missing?

Kevin Remde US DX - IT Pro Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://aka.ms/FullofIT http://twitter.com/kevinremde

• Edited by Kevin Remde Friday, August 14, 2015 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, September 28, 2015 5:38 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 2:02 PM

All replies

• WTF indeed.  :)

Are you using this at all for work in the sense that you're authenticating to an organizational account for something like Office 365?  Or allowing your company to deploy apps and configuration to it through mobile device management (MDM)?  Even though it's your own PC and you sign in with a Microsoft Account, you still could be allowing some policies to be applied to your machine through company MDM.

If not, then I suspect it's just a bug.. a notification that was meant to be a reminder that there may be settings in a corporate environment that will not be available for you to configure. 

Another question: Are you actually seeing any settings that are greyed out or missing?

Kevin Remde US DX - IT Pro Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://aka.ms/FullofIT http://twitter.com/kevinremde

• Edited by Kevin Remde Friday, August 14, 2015 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, September 28, 2015 5:38 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 2:02 PM
  • I have the same issue, I check my Local Security Policy and I make sure I can change my date and time, but to know avail.  Still says its managed by my organization. :(

I bleed .net

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:01 PM
  • I have the same problem, I have search the internet for a solution.  So far nothing works.  I still have the control bug message across the top.  I am on the fast ring for current updating.  One item grayed out is sending you feedback on the Settings, privacy, feedback & diagnostic page.  The other setting screen with grayout is Windows update.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:42 AM
  • I too have this notice and YES the controls are greyed out when you go to settings.  I've tried tech chat for hrs but so far no luck.  In Cortana's notebook the location shown is my zip code which I gave last week but that doesn't solve the problem of the other controls.  Help and thanks.  Oh, personal laptop, retired person, used by myself at home in between squirrel feedings. :-)

Kwaichang

Friday, November 4, 2016 12:40 AM
  • So I have had the same problem, in messing with trial and error I discovered that it is simply the message that displays if there is another setting that has higher authority managing the particular setting you are looking at.

The easiest and best example to recreate the issue is with location settings. When I turn them off at the parent level I get the message and a few things are greyed out. If I then enable it those settings become available again. Same applies to sending usage data to Microsoft about usage, etc.  Basically you are the organization that is managing your settings. Too many settings of the same type are placed in different areas of the setting menus.

I hope this answers your question or solves your issue. It seems that when speaking with some of the people at support that they may not actually use Windows 10 as there own personal software and sometimes get confused as to what your issue is, thank God for public forums because I don't think the people that design Windows actually use it either.

Pro Tip to Microsoft: Keep It Simple, Simple is Efficient, Efficient is Fast, and let us control syncing and automation. Your thoughtfulness keeps deleting my files thinking it knows what I want.

Friday, November 18, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Finally a helpful answer!  Thank you.

Sunday, January 1, 2017 6:00 PM