Best action for start fresh RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have SCOM 2012 R2 environment that has been running OK but I believe the previous admin just installed the management packs and walked away saying your good to go! The other admins are complaining that they get too many messages. Many false positives in the environment. I am looking to remove or modify the current management packs to have minimal notifications. Heartbeat Up/down, CPU, hard drive and memory issues. I know that it is not as simple as just turning everything off. I am having a hard time finding out how to unlock the management pack. Suggestions to starting fresh? or modifying the current environment. The plan is to slowly add management packs and clean up the environment. I believe we have 12 to 15 management packs currently live. Also we are still using Solarwinds until SCOM is fully functional. Has anyone else exported or migrated from Solarwinds to SCOM 2012 R2?

Thank you

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you want to clean up the environment, I would like to suggest you check all imported management pack, if there are management packs that you don't need, you can remove them from your management pack.

And for those unwanted rules and monitors, you may just override them according to your needs.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, January 7, 2016 4:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, January 8, 2016 3:07 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:42 AM
  • From my experience, SCOM management packs are not one size fit all especially for performance monitors. You should negotiate with different sharehoders in order to reach consent on performance threshold. This may be a long way to go. As a suggestion, it is recommend that you add one management pack into SCOM, disable unwanted monitor, modify the performance monitor threshold by override evey time. After this management pack function suit for your need, you add antoher ones. Repeat the above process again until all required management packs are added to your system.
    Roger
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:08 AM
  • Hi 

There are number of ways you can start with optimizing alerts in SCOM as follows.

Remove MP's from scom server and review/ fine tune with help of application team one by one and load 

or

Disable all rule and monitoring for each mp and enable after monitoring onee revied and fine tune

refer below link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30714.scom-2012-bulk-override-creation-for-monitors-and-rules-using-powershell.aspx

or 

Pull reports from the scom server for most common alert for each application and optimize to decrease count, this is the recommend way.

refer below link for how to optimize.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31188.optimizing-rule-in-scom-20072012.aspx

Regards

sridhar v

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please tell us a bit more about the OpsMgr setup. How many agents deployed? How many Management Servers? Uninstall all agents from the console, delete all Management Servers and OpsMgr databases and start from scratch?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:08 PM
  • Hello,

If you want to clean up the environment, I would like to suggest you check all imported management pack, if there are management packs that you don't need, you can remove them from your management pack.

And for those unwanted rules and monitors, you may just override them according to your needs.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:42 AM
  • From my experience, SCOM management packs are not one size fit all especially for performance monitors. You should negotiate with different sharehoders in order to reach consent on performance threshold. This may be a long way to go. As a suggestion, it is recommend that you add one management pack into SCOM, disable unwanted monitor, modify the performance monitor threshold by override evey time. After this management pack function suit for your need, you add antoher ones. Repeat the above process again until all required management packs are added to your system.
    Roger
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:08 AM
  • Hi 

There are number of ways you can start with optimizing alerts in SCOM as follows.

Remove MP's from scom server and review/ fine tune with help of application team one by one and load 

or

Disable all rule and monitoring for each mp and enable after monitoring onee revied and fine tune

refer below link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30714.scom-2012-bulk-override-creation-for-monitors-and-rules-using-powershell.aspx

or 

Pull reports from the scom server for most common alert for each application and optimize to decrease count, this is the recommend way.

refer below link for how to optimize.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31188.optimizing-rule-in-scom-20072012.aspx

Regards

sridhar v

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:47 AM
  • Hi!

Another way could be the tool "Override Creator" to set up a bulk of overrides for the Tuning.

Regards,

Julian

Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:28 AM