none
DPM 2007 upgrade to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to upgrade my DPM server to 2010.  It currently protects over a dozen production systems, about half of which are Hyper-V hosts.  My question is, will the 2010 install be able to backup any of the Legacy agents or will my protected servers be untouchable until I can get the new agent pushed out and the servers restarted?  I am assuming I will need to get the agents updated for backups to continue but i wanted to double check.

Thank you,

Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before the upgrade, be sure the DPM 2007 server is running on the latest QFE Rollup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976542 which is version 2.0.8861 - and that the agents are on the same version.  That will ensure that once you do upgrade to DPM 2010 that you can just update the agents from the DPM 2010 console.  You will need to update the protected servers agents to the DPM 2010 version before protection can resume.  This is because DPM 2010 uses a volume filter driver instead of a volume filter so the agent code is different and makes the DPM 2007 agents incompatible with DPM 2010 DPM servers.  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I am currently running 2.0.8864.0 Does this mean the agent upgrade to 2010 will not require a reboot on the protected computers?
    Friday, October 15, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hi - Correct, my bad, I gave you the wrong KB and version, it should be 2.0.8864 from KB979970.

Since we are removing a volume filter driver, I believe windows 2003 protected servers may require reboots to uninstall it.  Windows 2008 servers should be fine.  Plan accordingly so if any reboot is required, you can do so to minimize lapsed protection.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:18 PM