none
How to install particular Applications to Particular laptop Models RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Is any way to install the application to specific models of Laptops or Desktops without using DB?

Shailendra Dev

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:34 AM

All replies

• Yes use a WMI Query or Task Sequence Variable as condition!

Imagine, wanting to install the Validity Fingerprint Driver and Suite to a HP Probook 6560b.

Import the application in MDT, like you normally do with all applications.

In your task sequence, embed an "Install Application" step an point it towards the specific application you want to install.

Now on the options tab, click "ADD" and select: "Task Sequence Variable"

Now a pop-up dialog appears, specify which Variable is meant and specify the value.

In this case:

Model equals HP Probook 6560b

You can also set the condition on a group instead of one specific action. Then everything residing under that nested group will either be executed or skipped. It's a great way to reduce complexity in dealing with various models or the desire to have a task sequence per model, which is now not necessary.

Another way to achieve the same is to use a WMI query, which in this particular case would have looked like this:

select * from win32_computersystem where model = HP Probook 6560b

or you can use wildcards and then your query would be like:

select * from win32_computersystem where model like "%HP Probook 65%"

With the above used wildcard you target the entire HP Probook 65xx series.

Hope this provides you enough insight to achieve what you want, if there are any other questions you have, please feel free to respond.

And last but not least, check your BDD.log since it reveals all kinds of cool stuff that can be used as a condition for some sort. Think of things like physical memory, make, model, default gateway, physical disks etc.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:11 AM
  • In customsettings.ini set Priority Model, like:

[Settings]
    Priority=CSettings, ByDesktopType, ByLaptopType, ByVMType, Model, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

After this, you can use model specific case to install applications:

[LIFEBOOK E780]
    BitsPerPel=32
    VRefresh=60
    XResolution=1366
    YResolution=768
    DriverSelectionProfile=x86-FUJITSU-LIFEBOOKE780
    MandatoryApplications001={cccf0741-b5d4-4904-b1b4-1711b3f7a767}
    MandatoryApplications002={e1c56706-b569-47a8-bba7-ef3584022996}

To specify case you can query model type from command line with "wmic computersystem get model" command.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:44 PM
  • thanks Rens for your quick reply

One thing i need here from you , can i enter two or more machine models under value as HP Probook 4440s ; Dell Latitude 7400 etc as per your screenshot?

Which separator i have to use if i have to enter two or mote machine models ? or should i need to add another Task Sequence variable (for each machine model need separate TS Variables) against Install Applications TS Steps?

Shailendra Dev

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

You can add an "ANY" "ALL" or "NOT" option to your condition. For example

Validity fingerprint driver may be installed if ANY of these conditions are true:

1. Model equals HP Probook 6560b

2. Model equals Dell Latitude E6530

If you use ALL, all your conditions must be true, false or not equals true.

If you use NOT, it means that if for example the Task Sequence Variable IsVM = True will be skipped on the VM since you have chosen the option NOT.

Cheers!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:20 PM
  • thanks Rens I got it..

I have one Query. What is the best and simple way to assign the Computername during OSD through MDT .. I want below series for Computername should take from MDT during OSD. Can you please share some steps? Is the DB required for this or it can be done through script or some other services?

HomePC001 ... 

HomePC002

Shailendra Dev

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

To my knowledge you could best do it with the DB, because it's also very beneficial for other purposes, like the question you started this thread with.

Another option is to automatically create / generate hostnames based on for example serialnumber. Johan has written a great blog about that: Generate computer names in MDT 2012/2013 based on prefix and a sequence number

Another option is to use the following in your cs.ini:

OSDComputerName=HomePC-%SerialNumber%

Es specially when I see you using the example of "HomePC", I don't think a different naming convention is going to be a problem. Or are we talking about a large enterprise company here?

So know you have 3 answers, would you please be so kind to mark them?

Thanks and goodluck :)

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:43 PM