Windows 7 is using way too much RAM. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently noticed that for some reason Windows had started using 2.5gb or RAM idle, instead of the usual 500-700mb. This didnt really concern me as I read some other posts on the net that said not to worry, so alls well and good. Until I try host a server for my friends. The RAM doesnt get freed up like it should, and I get an error that the server couldnt reserve 32000b of data. This is alerting as if I am right, that is 32kb, and extremely strange as I have had no problem with server (No the server or game have been updated, they havent been updated in years), or the game, that I havent been able to fix in a matter of minutes. My RAM is currently running at 52%, whereas before it would be around 10%, maybe lower. I have checked around before I posted this, because whats the point posting this if 20-odd threads also have the same problem, and Ive deduced its not my onboard graphics as I dont use it, I dont have a memory leak unless Windows itself is leaking, and its not freeing itself up as its needed as it supposedly should. I did try using a program called RAMMap, which did shed a little light on the subject: It said that "Process Private" was using 1gb, "Mapped FIle" was using 774mb, and "Metafile" was using 415, and I had 1.2gb remaining, which seriously concerns me, as I am not able to fork out money for a new RAM Module.

I have Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

4gb 1066MHz RAM

AMD A8 5600k 3.6GHz Quad Core processor

and an Asus AMD Radeon HD 7790 2gb

If any of that matters.

Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:23 PM

Answers

• Ok, Ive been messing around and I have been able to get games to work, like Portal 2, Battlefield 3, etc. But I can still not run the server and the game at the same time, they kind of cancel each other out. Edit: Few days later my PC sorted itself out. Very strange.
    • Edited by UNCL3LARRY Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:36 AM
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Did you try booting up in Safe Mode? An easy way to do this is to use the System Configuration utility on Windows. To start it up, simply click start and in the search box type: msconfig.exe and press enter. Once opened, on the General tab, click Diagnostic startup, and click OK. Restart your PC and see if the problem has been resolved.

If the problem still exists and you're comfortable opening up your PC case (assuming you're getting this error on a desktop and not a laptop PC), remove the memory modules, and use some 70-90% isopropyl alcohol to wipe the connectors clean. Then, after all the alcohol has evaporated, place the modules again, and start up your PC.

Always make sure to ground yourself, before working on the inside of a PC. I cannot be held responsible if you brick your RAM modules or any other component by using the methods I have suggested above.

Preveen

Sunday, June 22, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Let me have a try, Ill get back to ya. And dont worry, I know my way around a PC. Edit: I tried both, and in safe mode it was using 660mb RAM, which is still really bad considering there was about 6 processes open. And I dont think cleaning the RAM has made any difference.
    • Edited by UNCL3LARRY Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:44 PM
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Ok, Ive been messing around and I have been able to get games to work, like Portal 2, Battlefield 3, etc. But I can still not run the server and the game at the same time, they kind of cancel each other out. Edit: Few days later my PC sorted itself out. Very strange.
    • Edited by UNCL3LARRY Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:36 AM
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:28 PM