none
How to erase tape without having to stop protection in DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have changed the retention on the protection group, so that it only has a week of daily retention. The old retention had both daily, monthly and yearly.

The tapes used with the old retention isn't usable with the new retention. When the retention expires they will properly be available, but isn't it possible to erase the tape now, so I can use them with the new retention.

I can see that it's an option to stop the protection and then erase the tapes, but that seems a bit weird that I have to delete the protection group to be able to delete the tapes?

I have found a Powershell script that can clear the retention but is that the only way?

Lasse

/Lasse

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For tapes not yet expired, you need to use DPM powershell script to expire the tapes and mark them free so they can be reused.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 1, 2013 2:22 AM
  • HI,

Is this PowerShell script relevant to DPM 2012?

Is this script delete the relevant recovery point from the disk or just mark it as expire on the Tape?

Thanks,

Lior

Monday, May 18, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it's still relevant - DPM 2012 and above now ships with force-freetape.ps1 in the box.  It only expires recovery points on tape, not disk based recovery points.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:34 PM