Vista freezes seemingly at random RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm having a problem where Windows Vista freezes, seemingly at random. It seems to freeze more often either at startup or when I close or switch programs, but I've also had it freeze in the middle of running a program. Sometime it freezes right after startup, sometimes it'll go a few days without problems. When it happens, Windows commands such as ctrl+alt+del do not respond. All windows, the bottom bar, and desktop stop responding (usually not all at once, but within a short period of time) until all I can do is move the mouse and hard reset.

Things I have tried:

Running chkdsk

Restarting in safe mode and running sfc, log says nothing is wrong

Running antivirus, I use avast, no viruses are detected

System restore to 10 days ago (although that may have been after the problems started, I don't remember the exact date), the freezing actually got more common after this

My computer is a custom build by a friend, I don't have all the specs on hand (although I can get them if needed) but here's what I remember: EVGA motherboard (not sure what specific model), core i7 CPU (known to be slightly heat damaged from an improperly attached heatsink but it's been running fine for about a year and a half now, although at lower speeds than a normal core i7), 6GB RAM, Nvidia GT 260 graphics card, motherboard-integrated Realtek audio. Nothing is overclocked and I havn't made any hardware changes since it was built. I do have my original Vista CD on hand if needed. I have had hard drive problems in the past but they were nothing like this, there was always a BSOD and chkdsk seemed to fix everything.

Monday, May 7, 2012 3:47 AM

All replies

• Check the Windows "System" log in the Event Viewer to see if there's any record related to this OS problems.
    What about the BSOD? Could you provide more detailed informations about it? Did you completely solve it?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:16 PM