none
How to resize drive on protected server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a protected Exchange 2016 server (virtual) and need to increase the size of the system drive. However, as DPM (2016) is creating checkpoints on the server, I cannot edit the VHD as I would normally as there are numerous AVHDX files which are generated during the checkpointing process. Despite numerous searches I cannot glean the recommended way to proceed. As the checkpoints are generated by backup they cannot be simply removed to have them merge. Some documents have said that simply shutting down the VM will force HyperV to merge the files back into the "parent". This seems not to be so. 

1. I see that I can use "Edit Disk" for each AVHDX and merge it into the parent, can I simply do this and (I assume) I must do them in reverse order (newest first)? 

2. Can I perform any tasks on the VHDs while DPM is still set to backup (every 15 mins on this Exchange server) as it will be continuously creating checkpoints.

TLDR: How do I expand a VHD on a virtual Exchange server which is being checkpointed by DPM every 15 mins? 

• Edited by Nigel Ayres Thursday, December 19, 2019 2:22 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It’s not normal that there are leftover .AVHDX files from the backup, the safest and easiest way to merge your checkpoints is to create a new checkpoint (if you can) and then delete it. This will allow Hyper-V to clean up and take care of your checkpoints automatically.

If that doesn’t work, the other option before performing a manual merge is to export your VM from a checkpoint and then import it. To do this, first shut down the VM, take a checkpoint, then export the VM from the new checkpoint and import it back into Hyper-V Manager. This will create a new VM from the current state without any of the checkpoint files associated with it. Keep in mind that the imported VM will need to have a different unique identifier if you want to have it registered in the same Hyper-V environment as the original VM. It will also take on the name of the checkpoint, so it will have to be renamed.

Note: Always take a backup of your files before making any merges or changes. I would also recommend copying your VM files manually and making the merge changes on the copies to verify that it will work.

If none of the above works, then you may try to perform a manual merge as you mentioned.

You might also want to ask the experts in the dedicated Hyper-V forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=winserverhyperv

To be safe, you can stop the Exchange protection (with retain data), expand the VHD and once it has been expanded you can re-add the Exchange to the protection group.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, December 19, 2019 2:52 PM
  • Thank you very much for you reply. However, I think that DPM is handling this in a different way. There were checkpoints yesterday which were created. I believe that these were created due to hung backups from when I was restarting the host due to upgrades, which is fine in the situation. 

However, these were on top of a daily checkpoint which seems to be created every day. I assume that this co-incides with the daily full backup of the server rather than the 15 min snapshots. 

This morning, as normal, all of yesterday's checkpoints had gone but the daily one from today was present. This is how it always seems to run: each day replacing a new checkpoint timestamped at the same time. Perhaps this is because we have two protection groups: one for the VM and the other for Exchange and the server one conflicts with one Exchange one? AIUI this is the correct configuration for an Exchange server backup though? 

So, I am still at somewhat of a loss to know how to clear the checkpoints. Clearly DPM is doing it daily, but I can't see the "correct" mechanism to do it so that I can edit the parent VHD.

Friday, December 20, 2019 12:11 PM