Command and Conquer Generals-Cannot install Game. Windows 7 Home Pro.Terrain File (Big) CD 2 cannot be read RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys.

Have an Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 Ghz, 8Gb Ram Memory (64-bit) PC, a sufficient GE Force GT640 Graphics card, Direct X 11.0 and running Windows 7.1 Home Premium.

Problem: Cannot install C&C Generals as computer cannot read fully the Terrain File.big on CD2. Apart from a couple of marks on the back of CD2, both CD's back surfaces are in very good and clear condition (not heavily used) & I see no reason why computer cannot read more of the Terrain file (going up to 56% of the installation process), as it specifically says/prompts so.

a) Is it my CD Quality? If yes, how do I clean the back surface without causing damage?

b)  If not, how can I get the computer to properly read the "Terrain.big" file from CD2 and complete the game installation process? Also please consider that I would later on try and also install its Expansion Pack Zero Hour and kindly advise if I would face similar problems..

Thanking All in advance for any answers to be submitted.

Sincerely,

Ephilippos

Monday, March 3, 2014 12:51 PM

Answers

• 1. Try to clean CD/DVD drive.

2. If this does not help, then Use external CD/DVD drive.

3. If nothing helps copy installation DVD on USB menory in your frien PC.

4. I (1 to 3) are not working options, obtain/purchase new CD/DVD.

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Monday, March 17, 2014 1:22 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I agree with Milos, we should first finger out whether this issue is related with the quality of the CD or the CD/DVD drive or the system.

Here are my suggestions:

If possible, you can try the CD in another PC, check whether the installation can be finished successfully or just the same problem as in your PC.

Manually update the driver of the CD/DVD drivers from the manufacture website to get the best performance.

Or use a USB memory instead as mentioned the first reply.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:51 AM

All replies

• 1. Try to clean CD/DVD drive.

2. If this does not help, then Use external CD/DVD drive.

3. If nothing helps copy installation DVD on USB menory in your frien PC.

4. I (1 to 3) are not working options, obtain/purchase new CD/DVD.

Regards

Milos

Monday, March 3, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I agree with Milos, we should first finger out whether this issue is related with the quality of the CD or the CD/DVD drive or the system.

Here are my suggestions:

If possible, you can try the CD in another PC, check whether the installation can be finished successfully or just the same problem as in your PC.

Manually update the driver of the CD/DVD drivers from the manufacture website to get the best performance.

Or use a USB memory instead as mentioned the first reply.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:51 AM