none
Migrate user profile from diferent Domain to New Domain

Question

• Hi Team,

We are in a process of merging with new company. So I need to join my current company PC’s to new company with user’s profile.

Current domain                =             contoso.local                     windows server 2003

New domain                      =             nwtraders.local                 windows server 2008 R2

majority of users with Windows XP sp2 and few of have windows 7.

Please help me to minimize downtime of users and proper way to migrate user’s profile from one Domain to another.

Thank you.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Friday, January 27, 2012 6:57 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3))
    • Moved by Bruce-Liu Monday, January 30, 2012 1:42 AM (From:Network Infrastructure Servers)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

USMT should be your way to go: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560801(WS.10).aspx

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by pathi84 Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:04 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Thanks for the update,

please help me to clarify this as well. I’m going to use ADMT 3.2 in my case.

the trust between Sauce forest and Target forest should be

Forest trust or External Trust?

Thank you.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hello,

you can use a forest trust.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hi Weber,

Thank you very much for the update.

as i motioned in above, my forests are as follows

Source forest - 2003 R2 SP2

Target forest - 2008 R2 SP1

can i create two way transitive trust between them or should i have to upgrade my source forest to 2008 R2 first?

If you can provide some links for this would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Hello,

You can create the forest trust. No need to upgrade the source forest to 2008 R2.

Prerequisite:

DNS must be setup between the two domains; this can be accomplished in a few different ways by either using stub zones, conditional forwarders.

and refer to the below articles for more information:

Configuring DNS Conditional Forwarding in Windows Server 2003
    http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/configuring-dns-conditional-forwarding.html

Configuring DNS Conditional Forwarding in Windows Server 2008
    http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/configuring-dns-conditional-forwarding_01.html

Understanding When to Create a Forest Trust

Checklist: Create a Forest Trust

Creating Forest Trusts

Gopi Kiran |Facebook| This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Hi all Thanks for the Update,

Is there any tool other than USMT to migrate my users profile from Forest A to Forest B?

Thank you,… J

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Hi,

ADMT can help you migrate user profiles. If you are using ADMT 3.2, please read the following the guide first, especially the Managing Users, Groups, and User Profiles section.

Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19188

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2012 7:37 AM
  • In additional to the Bruce suggestion 

Checklist: Performing an Interforest Migration

please refer to the Migrate users to a new AD forest

Download the tool : Active Directory Migration Tools 3.2 (ADMT v3.2)

and finally dirteam they have a bunch of post about this..

Gopi Kiran |Facebook| This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.
    • Edited by Gopi Kiran Monday, January 30, 2012 8:11 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hello,
    I know this thread is closed, but I'd like to give my contribution by suggesting this TechNet Wiki page: How to Migrate Windows User Profile to New Account.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:17 PM
  • On the same topic with a similar scenario, can anyone suggest a User Profile transfer method in the following situation:

• Existing domain: SBS 2008
    • New domain: Server 2012

The SBS 2008 AD is, at best, knackered. There's multiple issues with it that can't (in an efficient way) be repaired. Upshot is that AD/IIS/Exchange barely work and Exchange 2007 is on SP1 and can't be upgraded (which limits my migration options).

What I want to achieve:

• New domain
    • No trust between old and new domains
    • I'll manually move the mailboxes to the new Exchange (PST export/import I expect). Only 12 users, so not too much pain.
    • Over a long weekend, migrate User Profiles and settings from client PC's to newly-created profiles in the new domain.

With no trust between the domains, will USMT do scanstate of DomainA\User1 profile and loadstate to DomainB\User2? Should I look at ForensIT's offerings?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:02 AM
  • PhilKingston

I have exactly the same scenario, so did USMT do what you neede?

"will USMT do scanstate of DomainA\User1 profile and loadstate to DomainB\User2? Should I look at ForensIT's offerings?"

Thanks,

Zam

Monday, June 16, 2014 10:26 AM
  • You should definitely use USMT. USMT does exactly what you need.
    Also migrates encrypted files and the certificates.

Please see the USMT References or checkout my Technet article here: USMT technet guide
    It also points to my USMTGUI that will handle USMT settings for you.

You can migrate locally stored profiles from one Domain Pc to another, from one Domain to another, from one username to another and even from one OS version to another

• Edited by Thomas Ehler Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:57 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Answer was and still is: USMT

The easiest way to use USMT is by using the tools from Ehlertech

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 12:14 PM