Windows Update error 80070057 - nVidia GeForce 7300 LE update RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Update has dowloaded an update for nVidia GeForce 7300 LE that it is apparently unable to install.  When a manual attempt to intall the update is made, the following error message is received:  "Code 80070057 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."  Attempts to follow the instuctions on the Windows Update page were unsuccessful, i.e., there is no prompt to accept license terms, and a second attempt is unsuccessful.  I have tried several other approaches, including use of the Update Readiness Tool, without success.

My machine is a Dell XPS 410 with 32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.  This machine had some problems about 4 months ago that required rebaselining.  It now has the following problems in addition to the one noted above:  1)  Even though the CD and DCD drives are shown as "Ports" on the boot-up screen, I get "Found New Hardware" boxes when I log in.  If I tell the machine to ignore looking for drivers for these, I can do pretty much whatever I want, and the drives both seem to work OK.  2)  I am unable to install two HP peripherals, a Officejet J5750 All-in-One and a Scanjet G4050, on this system, in spite of technical support provided by HP (which admittedly seems to be oriented towards solving problems with older versions of Windows).  HP'sd advice was to install a new version of printupg.inf.

Any help you could provide with resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
    Mike McCurdy
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:01 AM

All replies