Modify a software package RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to edit a package such as change the deadline, or do I have to recreate the whole thing again?  In the SCE Help it says to modify a software package, you right click on the package and choose EDIT.  When I do this, there is no EDIT option.  

Also, I just want to deploy Office 2007 to a few computers in a test group, then later, if it works right, install it to a larger group.  Will I have to recreate the whole package again to do the other group?

Friday, November 20, 2009 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi dc_esct,

You are right. There's not an option to “Edit” existing software packages. The text is wrong on the page. Thanks for pointing that.

1. If you want modify a software package, you can right-click the software package and click Properties. In the <package> Properties dialog box, use the General and Installation tabs to make the needed changes, and then click OK. You can modify properties of a package, such as the installation and removal parameters, the name, and the description.

You cannot add/change files in existing packages. The reason is when you add the packages, the cab files that are created is sign and if you would add/change files the signing will not be correct. You can create a new software package instead.

2. To approve an existing package for deployment, you can right-click the software package that you want to approve for deployment, and then click Approve for Deployment. In the Approve Groups for Deployment dialog box, select the computer groups on which you want to install the software, and then click OK.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, November 27, 2009 9:59 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Never mind.  I tried running Setup directly from the location I had copied the Office files to and got an error, something about no products available.  So I need to check out why that is happening.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi dc_esct,

You are right. There's not an option to “Edit” existing software packages. The text is wrong on the page. Thanks for pointing that.

1. If you want modify a software package, you can right-click the software package and click Properties. In the <package> Properties dialog box, use the General and Installation tabs to make the needed changes, and then click OK. You can modify properties of a package, such as the installation and removal parameters, the name, and the description.

You cannot add/change files in existing packages. The reason is when you add the packages, the cab files that are created is sign and if you would add/change files the signing will not be correct. You can create a new software package instead.

2. To approve an existing package for deployment, you can right-click the software package that you want to approve for deployment, and then click Approve for Deployment. In the Approve Groups for Deployment dialog box, select the computer groups on which you want to install the software, and then click OK.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  So I had it set to deploy to a single machine in a test group last Friday and today it says the installation failed.  There was nothing in Event Viewer that said why it failed.  It may have been because it also had some updates for Office 2003 scheduled to install and then rebooted.

What do I do next, will it try to install the package again on the next scheduled update time?

Dale
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hello Dale,

For the issue that software deployment failed, please help collect more information for further investigation:

1. Please let us know the exact steps how you configure the software packages (the more detailed steps you can provide, the better). We can try to follow the steps here to see if we can reproduce the problem.

2. Is this the first software deployment package? Does the issue occur with other software package on the same SCE server?

3. Please run “wuauclt /detectnow” on the target computer and wait for at least 10 minutes, and then copy the following two log files out:

1) On the SCE server:  %programfiles%\Update Services\LogFiles\SoftwareDistribution.log
    2) On the target client computer:  %windir%\windowsupdate.log

Please post the content of the log files here. And let us know the software package’s command and name so that we can better analyze the log files.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:11 AM
  • How I created the package:
    Copied contents of Office 2007 CD to the server.
    Created the MSP file and put it in the Updates folder where the Office files reside 
    Created the new software package in SCE Server and pointed to the Office 2007 Setup.exe
    Approved it only for the test group with a single machine in it

This is the first software package I have attempted.  I just set up this SCE server last week.

Apparently it tried to install the package yesterday, but failed.  There is this error in Event Viewer on the client:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80242007: Office 2007

I'll post the logs shortly.  Thanks.

Dale

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Hello Dale,

It seems that System Center Essentials did deploy the Office 2007 package successfully. This issue could be caused by the Office 2007 installation package not being set up to properly. 

For the test purpose, you can try with a simple and small package at first. Or you can copy the Office 2007 software package to the target computer and check if it can be installed locally.

Thanks,
    Yog Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:49 AM
  •  >>Or you can copy the Office 2007 software package to the target computer and check if it can be installed locally.

What folder would the software package be located in on the SCE server? 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Never mind.  I tried running Setup directly from the location I had copied the Office files to and got an error, something about no products available.  So I need to check out why that is happening.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for updating the information.

Generally, the software packages can be found under path: C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    Yog Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:23 AM