none
Exchange Backups Randomly Fail with "Access is denied (0x80070005)" RRS feed

• Question

• I have several DPM 2012 R2 Update Rollup 3 servers. Each is backing up several of our Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 6 mailbox servers.

Randomly, one or more backups will fail with:

Data consistency verification check failed for LOGS of Exchange Mailbox Database ExchangeServer MDB1 on ExchangeServer.fqdn.here. (ID 30146 Details: Access is denied (0x80070005))

The error will go on to say:

Recommended action: Either the database files are corrupt or the proper versions of the Eseutil.exe and Ese.dll files are missing.

I do have the latest versions of ESE.DLL and ESEUTIL.EXE on the DPM servers.

The thing is, this is completely random. It will randomly affect one MDB on a server, while the other MDBs on the same server are fine. Then the next scheduled backup, the one giving the error will backup just fine. Also, if I manually back up an affected MDB, it goes fine. It also doesn't affect all the Exchange servers in any consistent way. Again, it's completely random from what I can tell.

Backing up the same exact Exchange servers with older DPM 2012 (not R2) servers was fine. I never saw this error. It's only started happening since I switched backups over to newer DPM 2012 R2 servers (happened on both UR2 and UR3).

Any ideas why these jobs are randomly failing, but then fine the next time?

• Edited by Skolvikings80 Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:02 PM fixed typo
    Monday, September 29, 2014 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you backing up active and passive databases or the same DB across multiple servers?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:18 PM
  • I backup one node in each DAG. Typically the node is passive but not necessarily.
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Access Denied error is usually caused by Antivirus software.  Please disable real time scanning on the DPM Server for DPMRA process. 

928840 You receive job status failure messages in Data Protection Manager
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928840

For DPM 2012 the path has changed.

To resolve this problem, configure the antivirus program to exclude real-time monitoring of the Dpmra.exe program on the Data Protection Manager server. By default, the Dpmra.exe file is located in the following folder:
    %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Bin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 4, 2014 12:35 PM
  • SkolVikings80,

Is the issue resolved?

Andy

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:22 PM