Does compatibility work automatically sometimes? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed several older programs and several of those I had a strange notice. It said that the program may not have installed correctly, and was it OK to reinstall using different parameters, or something close to that, and I let it do it. Anyway the programs run fine, and I'm just wondering if W 7 is smart enough to realize that some older programs need to install in a compatibility mode and that's what it is doing???

If so how cool is that!!!
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:46 AM

Answers

• The error about not installing could be a simple as the program could not update the registry or the older program wanted to drop a .dll file in system32
    windows programs should NEVER do this, they should drop all .dll's and so on in their program files folders which the program should look in first.

Much cleaner this way.
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft is committed to maximizing compatibility for applications that work with previous Windows version running on Windows 7. Much of the work done to remediate applications in previous Windows version will carry over to Windows 7 due to the underlying similarity of the two operating systems.

In order to reduce calls to the help desk by diagnosing and resolving common issues, Microsoft has developed the platform on program compatibility troubleshooter: Windows 7 Action Center Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, which will fix the common issues automatically.

For example, it can change the information of certain files\registries to make the program believe they are compatible so that the installation can continue.

• Edited by Magon_67 Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:30 AM
  • The error about not installing could be a simple as the program could not update the registry or the older program wanted to drop a .dll file in system32
    windows programs should NEVER do this, they should drop all .dll's and so on in their program files folders which the program should look in first.

Much cleaner this way.
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:12 PM