none
Reports for visitor views in SharePoint Online

Question

• My SharePoint site has recently migrated to a SharePoint Online environment and I'm struggling to figure out how I can report on how many views certain viewers have (and/or which content is being viewed by which users).

I could achieve this previously through the following methods in Sharepoint 2007:

1. Site Settings > Site Web Analytics Reports > Top Visitors
      This would show me a list of users and how many items they've viewed within a specified period of time. This isn't available in SharePoint Online.
    2. Site Settings > Audit log reports > content viewing
      In SharePoint Online, I'm not given the option to enable event auditing for viewing/downloading items. So when I try to run the content viewing audit log, there is no data to report. 

Surely there has to be a way to see how many views my site's users have and also determine who has viewed a specific content item. 

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:55 PM

Answers

• Yeah, it is pretty crippled. I don't know of any other OOTB tools that can help out on this one. I've heard people suggest things like google analytics but i haven't tried them. There is a huge amount of information in them (O365 Audit Logs) if you know how to get at it.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:22 PM

All replies

• You can get this out of the Office 365 audit logs if you've got access to them. They are very powerful but difficult to use.

You can also enable auditing on a site collection level but it's not as detailed. I'm not sure if you've already tried this?

Monday, April 18, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.

I don't have acess to the Office 365 audit logs.

Regarding the second recommendation, I tried to enable auditing on a site collection level, but the ability to audit for opening/downloading documents, viewing items in lists, or viewing item properties are not available for SharePoint Online in Office 365 for enterprises.

Monday, April 18, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Yeah, it is pretty crippled. I don't know of any other OOTB tools that can help out on this one. I've heard people suggest things like google analytics but i haven't tried them. There is a huge amount of information in them (O365 Audit Logs) if you know how to get at it.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:22 PM