Steadystate and Usb instability RRS feed

• Question

•  

We're a public library that has used the Windows Shared Computer ToolKit successfully on patron PC's at several branches. Lately we've started deploying Steadystate  on new computers.

I needed to install some software on 4 dell optiplex 745's that had steadystate, with disk protection on, with the "save changes" option. I used an external harddrive with a usb connection to transfer files. All 4 dells experienced unexpected reboots, bluescreens,  and general unstable behavior. This seemed to occur randomly: plugging in the usb drive, transferring files via usb, or "safely removing" the usb hardware.

I' ve done the same procedure on dell 745's with the shared computer tool kit with no incident. ( I've also tested Steadystate and usb functionality on other brands of pc's and had instability problems with them as well).

Yes, I can load software using cds and dvds, but our library patrons are allowed to use their usb flashdrives. I'm reluctant to use Steadystate until some kind person can help me with this issue and relieve me of my trepidations regarding this second iteration of the really neat Shared Computer Toolkit.

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Drslide

To test whether this issue is related to SteadyState, you can temporarily uninstall SteadyState from the computer. If the issue persists, this should be a general Windows XP issue.

As the issue can be caused by incompatible USB drivers or devices, you can also test it with another USB drive

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Drslide

To test whether this issue is related to SteadyState, you can temporarily uninstall SteadyState from the computer. If the issue persists, this should be a general Windows XP issue.

As the issue can be caused by incompatible USB drivers or devices, you can also test it with another USB drive

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:57 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

I encountere the same problem,  I have installed Steady State on the HP DC7100 business desktop, I plugged  in the HP 1GB USB flash drive or Apricon USB 40GB of drive. It is OK.  If I remove the USB drive from the systray and it said it is safe to remove the drive, as soon as I unplugged the drive, the machine will rebooted (either I logged in as an Admin or as a user).

I did try use another Lexar USB 0.5 GB of flash driver, if I removed the drive, the machine did not reboot.

Any idea?

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Hi Tic1745,

The issue can be caused by driver conflicts or hardware problem. I suggested we perform the following steps to check this issue:

Step 1: Clean Boot to check if the issue is caused by third party programs or services

------------------------

1. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All. Enable Windows SteadyState Service by selecting it. 

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

Then, restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

4. Please check this issue again. If issue remains, uncheck Windows SteadyState Service to test.

Step 2: Disable Automatically Restart to collect crash dump file

------------------------

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer and then choose Properties.

2. Choose the Advanced tab.

3. Click on the Settings button in the "Startup and Recovery" part.

4. Click to uncheck the “Automatically restart” option.

5. Click OK to close the window. Reproduce the reboot issue.

6. If blue screen occurs, please located the dump files under C:\windows\minidump. Please send them to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com for analyzing.

Best Regards,

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:19 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Just FYI, when it reboots, I don't get the blue screen. 

Do you still want me to go through the steps you mentioned?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Bst Rgds,

Monday, October 8, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, after disabling the "Automatically restart" option. BSOD usually occurs if the system tries to restart due to some errors. Please double check the above steps first. If there are dump files under C:\windows\minidump, please check their creating date and then send the latest ones to me.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:49 AM
  •  

Hi Shawn,

I followed the steps you gave me to me and i still got the same thing i.e., it still reboots if i take out the usb drive.

I will send you the dump.

Thanks.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:41 PM
  •  

Hi Shawn,

After I renamed the file, the machine was keep rebooting.  I tried on another machine to rename the wdf01000.sys, I got a blue screen.

Any idea why?  The boxes are Windows XP with SP2 and with all the latest secruity patches.

You help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Hi Tic1745,

Although the dump files indicate the problem can be related to wdf01000.sys. It may not be the root cause.

As this issue can be related to the conflicts between SteadyState service and some specific USB devices, let’s continue with the following steps:

1. Click Start and then Run. Type in services.msc and click OK.

2. Locate Windows SteadyState Service, stop it and change its Start type to Disable.

3. Click Start and then Run. Type in msconfig and click OK.

4. Switch to the Servic8es tab. Make sure Windows SteadyState Service has been unchecked. Click OK.

5. Restart the computer to test.

If the issue persists, I recommend we uninstall SteadyState to test. Otherwise, please restart the service to check again.

Regards,

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:15 AM
  • This isn't about the problem you are solving here, but you seem to know your stuff, so here goes: I have hooked up an external HD thru USB. Device Manager recognizes it, but My Computer doesn't. I have downloaded a driver from WD for this HD(WD3200aajb) and tried to change it, but Windows says that the driver is no better then the one already in use. What can I do?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:39 AM