Network issue causes server to hang RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am hoping someone has seen this. I am seeing this error quite often:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd408475(WS.10).aspx

This is a WIndows2008R2 issue, and Microsoft's resolution is to disable the NIC and re-enable.  Obviously we can't rely on that.

This server is an FTP server, with about a dozen clients.  Running a netstat on the server is showing the ports being eaten up fast.  I lowered the max connections on each ftp site from 1000 to 100 to see if that helps.  Not sure if there's another setting on the ftp sites I can make.  It almost seems like it's not freeing up old connections.  it has caused the server to crash twice in the last 12 hours.

The only way to get the server back is to do a hard reboot.  Without a reboot I can't even ping the server.  Mouse and keyboard do nothing when I am directly connected.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:18 PM

All replies

• Originally posted in general, realized I should have posted this here.

I am hoping someone has seen this. I am seeing this error quite often:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd408475(WS.10).aspx

This is a WIndows2008R2 issue, and Microsoft's resolution is to disable the NIC and re-enable.  Obviously we can't rely on that.

This server is an FTP server, with about a dozen clients.  Running a netstat on the server is showing the ports being eaten up fast.  I lowered the max connections on each ftp site from 1000 to 100 to see if that helps.  Not sure if there's another setting on the ftp sites I can make.  It almost seems like it's not freeing up old connections.  it has caused the server to crash twice in the last 12 hours.

The only way to get the server back is to do a hard reboot.  Without a reboot I can't even ping the server.  Mouse and keyboard do nothing when I am directly connected.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Short of using PerfMon to monitor the NIC and creating a script for it to use to kick off a re-initialisation of the TCP/IP stack, have you tried running a protocol analyser on the NIC when these issues occur?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Hi ,

Can you check the behavior by chaging the NIC?, i understand that there are lot of protocols involved along with the network driver stack / NDIS , so we need to identify which is filling up the connections .

As R-Bel suggested you could use the perfmon and do you see any memory hog ?

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:02 AM