none
Hardware VSS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2012 SP1 server backing up VMs from a 2008R2 host.  I have a Dell PS4100 SAN.  Latest HIT and Microsoft ISCI client 3.3 on the host.

Backups fail and i get:

Starting synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\server failed:
    Error 30290: Failure occurred while adding one or more of the volumes involved in backup operation to snapshot set. Please check the event log on Hxxx.yyy.zzz  to troubleshoot the issue.
    Error details: Internal error code: 0x809909E2
    Recommended action: Check recent records from the VolSnap source in the Application Event Log to find out why the problem occurred.

I can force them to use software VSS and i can get a backup. It looks like its trying to use the Windows ISCI target hardware provider and error on lack of permissions.  Why doesn't it use the Dell HW provider.

Dell says its a Microsoft issue.  I'm no so sure.  Anyone have a lot of knowledge in this area?

Not sure what else to try.

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The symptom matches this, try removing the Windows iscsi target hardware provider software on the Windows 2008 R2 host.

2761897 Creating protection for Hyper-V VMs on Windows Server 2012 fails with Internal error code 0x809909E2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2761897/EN-US

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:49 PM