none
work time problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 
    I have a problem to change the work time(1) I want that the work start in 8:30 AM and ends in 4:30 PM but I couldn't do it .
    It's my first time using the software , I have looked in YouTube and without any results .
    my second problem is I didn't understand the meaning when we insert 1 day for example in the duration , is that means that the task will take the equivalent of a day in terms of hours or it takes 1 day of work ?, and what is the relation between work and duration  
    Sunday, November 4, 2018 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Tayasser,

By default a day in MS Project is 08:00 - 12:00 and then 13:00 - 17:00, which equates to 8 hours.  You can see the start and end time of tasks by changing the date format in the File | Options dialogue.  

If you want to change the working hours per day then this can be done in the Project Tab | Change Working Time dialogue box.  Please note that if you change this so that the day is not 8 hours long, then you will need to change the File | Schedule Options 

This is described in lots of books, including mine ;)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Sunday, November 4, 2018 6:51 PM
  • if you go to file, options, you can choose a date/time format which displays the time as well as the date. This is necessary to answer your question. You will see that 1 Day is interpreted by MSP to be whatever number of hours has been set in file, options, schedule. It is a conversion factor. This conversion factor is needed because "Day" is ambiguous but "Hour" is not. The default is 8 hours = 1 day, which matches your 08:30 - 16:30. Also in file, options, schedule you can set the default start time and the default finish time. These are need because there is no such thing as a date without a time, so if you type in a date only MSP needs to supply the time. Every date in MSP is either a start or finish date.

You should also make a new calendar, at project, change working time, and by copying the standard calendar, change the work weeks and allow for exceptions etc, and then make the new calendar the project calendar in project, project information, and while there set the start date/time of your project.

Duration is just duration. A task can have a duration even if it has zero work. A task can have 1 day duration and 1000 hours of work. Work usually arises from the assignment of work type resources, but you can also assign any amount of work to a task without assigning resources.

Any help?

Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Tayasser,

By default a day in MS Project is 08:00 - 12:00 and then 13:00 - 17:00, which equates to 8 hours.  You can see the start and end time of tasks by changing the date format in the File | Options dialogue.  

If you want to change the working hours per day then this can be done in the Project Tab | Change Working Time dialogue box.  Please note that if you change this so that the day is not 8 hours long, then you will need to change the File | Schedule Options 

This is described in lots of books, including mine ;)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Sunday, November 4, 2018 6:51 PM
  • if you go to file, options, you can choose a date/time format which displays the time as well as the date. This is necessary to answer your question. You will see that 1 Day is interpreted by MSP to be whatever number of hours has been set in file, options, schedule. It is a conversion factor. This conversion factor is needed because "Day" is ambiguous but "Hour" is not. The default is 8 hours = 1 day, which matches your 08:30 - 16:30. Also in file, options, schedule you can set the default start time and the default finish time. These are need because there is no such thing as a date without a time, so if you type in a date only MSP needs to supply the time. Every date in MSP is either a start or finish date.

You should also make a new calendar, at project, change working time, and by copying the standard calendar, change the work weeks and allow for exceptions etc, and then make the new calendar the project calendar in project, project information, and while there set the start date/time of your project.

Duration is just duration. A task can have a duration even if it has zero work. A task can have 1 day duration and 1000 hours of work. Work usually arises from the assignment of work type resources, but you can also assign any amount of work to a task without assigning resources.

Any help?

Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:37 PM