none
Windows 10 / Dell Precision 5510 / BitLocker Recovery Key prompt??? RRS feed

• Question

• As a pilot I am deploying Windows 10 to new Dell Precision 5510s using ConfigMgr 1602.  I am configuring the machines for UEFI.  I am pre-provisioning BitLocker in the Task Sequence.  The Task Sequence deploys successfully.  The machines are built with either the Type-C dock or the Type-C network dongle.  Everything is fine until the Type-c device is removed and the machine rebooted.  The machine will prompt for the Recovery Password.  Once I supply the password, I logon and suspend Bitlocker and reboot and everything is fine again without an Type-C connector connected.  Once one of the two Type-C devices is re-attached and the machine rebooted, I am back to the same scenario where the machine is prompting for the Recovery Password.  This process goes back and forth between Type-C connected and Type-C disconnected over and over.  Any help is resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Info:
    Storing the Recovery Password in AD.
    Windows 10 1511.2 ISO
    Using Group Policy to configure BitLocker.
    Have been using Group Policy to manage Windows 7 computers with BitlLocker enabled.

Thanks,

Mike

• Edited by mniccum Monday, July 18, 2016 6:28 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I do not think it is related to a hardware malfunction too. I was assuming that it is caused by  unexpected hardware configuration changing. Removing or re-attaching Type-c device will cause hardware configuration changing. Also, we could check if there is any error message recorded in Event View when this issue occurred, it should be useful to troubleshoot.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:47 AM

All replies

• I have found by going into the BIOS and disabling "Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support" and "Enable Thunderbolt (and PCIe behind TBT) Pre-boot" the machine no longer prompts for the Recovery Password.  The machine can no longer PXE boot as the dock and network adapter are Type-C.  I need to be able to leave these features enabled and not trip BitLocker.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hi ,

Sometimes, we will be asked for Recovery Key when it goes into recovery mode. There are several reasons that you will be asked for recovery key. For example , the computer encountered a hardware malfunction, an unexpected configuration change, or another security event. Based on your situation, Recovery Key prompt appears after removing or re-attaching Type-c device. Due to the limited working environment, it is not available for us to test this. I prefer to think removing or re-attaching Type-c device cause unexpected hardware configuration change and it cause Bitlocker goes into recovery mode

Here is a link for reference.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:57 AM
  • I have many of these devices and each have the issue.  I doubt it is related to a hardware malfunction.  Are you saying there is no solution to be able to leave the pre-booting of Thunderbolt without being prompted for the Recovery Key each time I switch to or from the Type-C dock or NIC dongle?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Hi ,

I do not think it is related to a hardware malfunction too. I was assuming that it is caused by  unexpected hardware configuration changing. Removing or re-attaching Type-c device will cause hardware configuration changing. Also, we could check if there is any error message recorded in Event View when this issue occurred, it should be useful to troubleshoot.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:47 AM