none
"Printer drivers not installed" in Windows 10 with a specific user RRS feed

• Question

• This error just came up all of a sudden, and it seems to have gotten to a couple computers. When students try to print out a worksheet from Excel (or any program for that matter), Windows complains that it was unable to connect to the printer. Upon going to the printer's properties, Windows tells me that the driver is not installed... However, this is not the case when I sign into the computer. Printer works fine then.

I looked on our server for the HPTrayCount entry in the registry, and it does not exist - I assume the driver does not work that same way as mentioned in other posts.

Here's our environment:

Windows 10 14393
    Windows Server 2012 R2
    HP Color Laserjet 500 M551
    HP Laserjet 700 M712

All computers use the default driver that they download from Windows Update, which appears to be:

HP Color LaserJet A4/Letter Hardware-Copy PCL6 Class Driver for the M551
    HP LaserJet A3/11x17 PCL6 Class Driver for the M712

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    In my experience, Printer driver problems may occur due to the following reasons:
    • The printer driver is configured incorrectly
    • The printer driver is not compatible with the installed printer or your version of Windows
    • The entry of your printer driver in the Windows registry is incorrect
    • Malware has infected your printer driver files
    The error message "Printer Driver was not installed” can also occur due to following reasons, even if the printer driver is correct:
    • User does not have the administrative rights. In this case, the solution is to log in as an administrator and then install the correct printer driver.
    • Incorrect or Corrupt port is selected when installing printer driver. In this case, the solution is to install the printer driver to the default port, such as LPT1 or File. Once the printer driver is correctly installed, go to the properties of the printer driver, and then select the correct port.
    • Incorrect or printer driver of an older version is installed, and the operating system is unable to overwrite the current printer driver, or any application using the current printer driver is open. In this case, the solution is to close all the applications running on the computer and un-install the older version of printer driver completely. Restart your computer, and then try installing the new printer driver.
    So you could have a try to start from the aspects as above to see if they help or not.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:35 AM