none
What's best way to structure relationship with 1 shared resource file with 7 different project team files? preferrably without creating 60GB file? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation where we have placed the tasks of a shared resource in a project file and also have placed tasks for 7 project managers in 7 different project files. What we are wanting to achieve is to have tasks in the shared resource file drive dependent tasks in the 7 project managers files. The project managers have about 200 building projects each. What is the best way to structure this? My initial thought/plan was to place these files as subprojects in a main file and link up tasks in the shared resource to corresponding tasks in the project managers files. I realised after doing a simple exercise that it will not work in microsoft project. The next step is to load everything into 1 file, that would mean combining 8 x approx. 7.5GB files (or 8 x 2500 lines)? This is one option? Any suggestions how we can best achieve this.

PV

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:25 PM

Answers

• That is a job for Project Server or Project online. You will never get that many projects linked to a resource pool or master file to be file corruption free with linking.

If I was doing it I would run VBA code to export key data for reporting to SQL Server and then use reporting tools or Excel to create the overall reports. This would be corruption free, fast and work.
    If all you want to do is report on Proejct Manager workloads (and 200 projects each is ridiculously large for anywhere near effective project management) then the amount of data is low and performance even faster.

As a note, resource pool files should never have tasks, they should only be the project linked to in Share Resources by each project with resource assignments.

Definitely do not have one large file as only one person at a time can edit a file.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by pval001 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:09 PM

All replies

• That is a job for Project Server or Project online. You will never get that many projects linked to a resource pool or master file to be file corruption free with linking.

If I was doing it I would run VBA code to export key data for reporting to SQL Server and then use reporting tools or Excel to create the overall reports. This would be corruption free, fast and work.
    If all you want to do is report on Proejct Manager workloads (and 200 projects each is ridiculously large for anywhere near effective project management) then the amount of data is low and performance even faster.

As a note, resource pool files should never have tasks, they should only be the project linked to in Share Resources by each project with resource assignments.

Definitely do not have one large file as only one person at a time can edit a file.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by pval001 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Thanks Rod, I understand my limitations now. I guess my problem now is that I will not have access to Project Server or Project online as a tool. I'll need to explore options within my current limitations. I guess VBA coding to extract data would be a start and then use Excel to do reporting.

PV

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:57 PM