Unable to login into the Physical host in Server 2008 R2 Statndard RRS feed

• Question

• I can RDP into  two VM's via RDP however  I can't figure out how to connect to the physical server.

How do I find out what is the IP?

The IT who setup this server disappeared, I am trying to help a friend with this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norbertito

Norbert

Saturday, October 1, 2016 12:53 AM

Answers

• If it is VMWare ESXi then you need to be at console or use VSphere to manage the host.

This one might help.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/458282?start=0&tstart=0

or ask them over here.

https://communities.vmware.com/welcome

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:13 PM
  • For an ESXi host you'll need to install VSphere to manage the host (enter the host ip address in browser window to start install). You can "F2" and logon to host machine to do a very minimal amount of configuration. Either case not a windows question.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 3, 2016 11:17 PM

All replies

• You can take a look at the network connection properties or do an ipconfig /all

Saturday, October 1, 2016 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

Typically,you could try the Default Gateway,if it is not the one.

For Vmware,check this one:

How to extract host information from within a VM?

And Hyper-v:

Hyper-V: How to Find the Host of a VM

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Thanks for all your replies, I am still not able to figure out. Seems like I am able to log in to the host.

I found the IP, Name of Host however when I check the Device Manager under disk drives shows 2 VMware Virtual disk SCSI Disk Device and not the physical hard drive.

Best

Norbertito

Norbert

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:08 PM
  • If it is VMWare ESXi then you need to be at console or use VSphere to manage the host.

This one might help.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/458282?start=0&tstart=0

or ask them over here.

https://communities.vmware.com/welcome

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your tips.

I am not having any success yet, I did post the question to VMware communities.

Any other suggestion or perhaps are you available to help me with this issue? (not at no charge)

Best,

Norbertito

Norbert

Monday, October 3, 2016 6:48 PM
  • For an ESXi host you'll need to install VSphere to manage the host (enter the host ip address in browser window to start install). You can "F2" and logon to host machine to do a very minimal amount of configuration. Either case not a windows question.

Monday, October 3, 2016 11:17 PM