none
Folder Redirection and Allways Offline

Question

• Hi

Have have set up folder redirection on pictures, documents, favorites, contacts, downloads, desktop, start menu and videos. I have set up Allways Offline according to this guide: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh968298(v=ws.11).aspx and deployed the GPOs to the user and computer that I am testing on.

During boot of the machine its isolated with .1x and posture (cisco ise) and the machine cannot reach the redirected folders on the file server. Because of this the log-on waits until it times out and switches over to offline mode.

But since I have applied Allways Offline mode I was under the impression that this would not be a problem. Because the machine should not try to contact the file server because its set to "Allways Offline" and then the sync should run in the background on a timer.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Edit: the folder path I set to allways Offline to is \\server.mydomain.xx\share$\%USERNAME%\Desktop and a new entry for each of the redirected folders.

Edit2: Its also worth noting that the sync in my redirected folders is instant. Meaning if I put a file in a redirected folder its starts to sync instantly. The Sync status can show that it has not been synced in two weeks but it still syncs instantly.

• Edited by Nico_ Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Nico,

During boot of the machine its isolated with .1x and posture (cisco ise) and the machine cannot reach the redirected folders on the file server. Because of this the log-on waits until it times out and switches over to offline mode.

Am I missing something here?

>>>For Always offline,

1. The Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) schema must be updated to include Windows Server 2012 schema additions (installing a Windows Server 2012 domain controller automatically updated the schema).
    2. Client computers must run Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 R2, or Windows Server 2012 and be joined to the Active Directory domain that you are managing.

Here is an article below for your reference.

Folder Redirection, Offline Files, and Roaming User Profiles overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848267(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 6, 2016 11:07 AM