Hyper-V unable to add external network RRS feed

• Question

• I'm confused over this one as I have spent quite a bit of time looking into this one.  I am able to add the internal & private networks but I am not able to add the external network.  I think it has something to do with the network bridge but there is no bridge installed nor is there a device listed in device manager.  

Nonetheless, I removed all the nics and reinstalled them.  Still unable to add the switch.  I came across a few articles on the net and tried using nvspwmi & NVSPScrub.  Neither of those scripts worked for me (Maybe not able to work in Windows 10??)

I tried using Procmon to see where it failed but I did not see anything.

I reinstalled Hyper-V.  

Event log shows Event 26144 - "Failed while adding virtual Ethernet switch connections."  but no details.  The next event shows it deleted the switch "Switch deleted, name='8CE1BE1E-8D32-46F8-A2B6-9271690458BD', friendly name='z'."

System restore was not enabled so that is not an option

Any way to enable verbose logging or does anyone have an idea on this?

I am not interested in reinstalling windows.  I just need to have a detailed walk thru on how to troubleshoot this issue so that I can understand how to fix this issue in the future.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• What build?

A shot in the dark!  Invalid class string sounds like a registry issue or dll issue.  Might be worth your while to run a system file check

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM (if necessary) if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Build 10122.

Didn't think a SFC would be needed as this is an issue with Hyper-v and not the OS.  I was thinking that there might be some utility to check all the hyper-v files / reg settings / etc.

A shot in the dark indeed as I am not able to provide any more details to you at this time.  If the event logs had verbose logging, than maybe I might be able to provide more details.

Are there other logs that I can look thru?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Build 10122.

Me too but my problem is on the W8.1.2 side.  Same thing.  Hyper-V created a virtual adapter which I can not get rid of and which is making it impossible to connect my VM (except in Homegroup mode).

C.f.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e331b0f1-2b29-4093-9cc0-8c30a7ffc932/help-me-get-my-vms-networking-going-again-after-a-w812-update-screwed-it-up?forum=w8itprovirt

There is lots of tracing possible for Hyper-V supposedly via  netsh trace.  I haven't tried that tack yet but probably should.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f20f5c32-d8d3-4465-b481-993f310b68f0/the-hyperv-virtual-machine-management-service-terminated-unexpected-build-10130?forum=WinPreview2014General#d0a4238b-4993-411c-ad38-1b8a8c893dc1

Oh.  You say you can create an Internal switch?   That's how mine was working.  I had only an Internal switch and was using Sharing to get an Internet connection.  I think I may have been using a static address (e.g. because automatic configuration was not working) but don't know for sure.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/01/09/using-hyper-v-with-a-wireless-network-adapter.aspx 

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:35 PM
  • My thoughts are that teh network bridge may be the culprit or part of it somehow.  I do not have any such device in my network settings (even with hidden devices enabled).  Again, reinstalling all my NICs does nothing.

And now I see 10147 has already been leaked out (http://preview.tinyurl.com/n9gcge4) or am I just that slow because I see 10130, not 10147 on MS site.

So I'm now using the NVSBIND util from https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Hyper-V-Network-VSP-Bind-cf937850.  

Following the post from (http://codedbeard.com/win-10-build-10130-hyper-v-adapter-issue/), I enabled hidden devices & removed all other adapters from my device manager and did a rescan.  MS WIFI Direct Virtual Adapter was installed.  Not sure what this is as my wifi card is working fine.  May not be related???

Reran the bind tool and I see some odd entries:

{FC21F03D-0862-4FC0-A89D-BCC45E8A2098}
    "nonpnpnetworkinterface\{fc21f03d-0862-4fc0-a89d-bcc45e8a2098}"
    "WAN Miniport (PPTP)"
    "Local Area Connection* 16":
       enabled:  ms_ndiswan       (Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver)

{F08DF876-D669-49B2-B880-B5BEE6BC637C}
    "nonpnpnetworkinterface\{f08df876-d669-49b2-b880-b5bee6bc637c}"
    "WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)"
    "Local Area Connection* 12":
       enabled:  ms_pacer         (QoS Packet Scheduler)
       enabled:  ms_wfplwf_lower  (WFP Native MAC Layer LightWeight Filter)

{B917691D-3C1C-4C50-BEF2-059CFEFF9FF4}
    "nonpnpnetworkinterface\{b917691d-3c1c-4c50-bef2-059cfeff9ff4}"
    "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter"
    "Local Area Connection* 1":
       enabled:  ms_msclient      (Client for Microsoft Networks)
       enabled:  ms_pppoe         (Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet)
       enabled:  ms_lldp          (Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver)
       enabled:  ms_rspndr        (Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder)
       enabled:  ms_lltdio        (Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver)
       disabled: ms_implat        (Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol)
       enabled:  ms_netbt         (WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol)
       enabled:  ms_server        (File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks)
       enabled:  ms_rdma_ndk      (Microsoft RDMA - NDK)
       enabled:  ms_tcpip         (Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4))
       enabled:  ms_netbios       (NetBIOS Interface)
       enabled:  ms_tcpip6        (Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6))
       enabled:  ms_ndisuio       (NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol)
       enabled:  ms_ndiscap       (Microsoft NDIS Capture)
       enabled:  ms_wfplwf_upper  (WFP 802.3 MAC Layer LightWeight Filter)
       enabled:  ms_nativewifip   (NativeWiFi Filter)

{447863FD-742C-4F20-BC6C-46436D6D4B97}
    "nonpnpnetworkinterface\{447863fd-742c-4f20-bc6c-46436d6d4b97}"
    "Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter"
    "[g7JoS][±Φ !]":

{4C559A16-3DA3-4680-BCDF-8B05084E2A2E}
    "nonpnpnetworkinterface\{4c559a16-3da3-4680-bcdf-8b05084e2a2e}"
    "Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter"
    "[mrBSA][  Φε* !!! !!] 1":

Mmm.....  Those last 2 entries look corrupt to me ("[mrBSA][  Φε* !!! !!] 1":).

gonna test out hyper-v and i that doesn't work, I'm gonna poke at those corrupt looking entries a bit more.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:33 PM
  • So Hyper-V still isn't working.  So I'm ripping out the invalid entry GUIDs (Made a backup 1st)

Mmm... what do I see????  Cross your fingers!

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:49 PM
  • still no good, the odd entries are still there.  But I need to reboot to make sure once and for all but I'm doubtful.  

Any other thoughts?

Come on MS, get the Hyper-V team going on this... 

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:49 PM
  • what do I see?
    IfGuid ["7F736EC41E3688489AEA9CE73C3CB76D"]

Base64 GUID stored as binary equivalent in hex?

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95d102eb-977a-4d9c-bad1-870f3c4e27dc/decoding-base64-query-string?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

(Microsoft search for
        GUID Base64
    )

I'm going to have to let the idea go at that.  I have been trying to find a way to use PowerShell to test it but have not had any luck so far.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Reboot didn't have any effect either.'

What I was commenting on in the picture was the name:  Network Bridge. Was hoping this had something to do with it.

Friday, June 26, 2015 6:32 AM
  • Any other thoughts?

Some PowerShell tips for converting GUID to octet strings which is closer to what we want

http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2011/12/guids-to-octets-guids-to-base64-strings.html

Unfortunately there is a typo (or perhaps formatting error) in one of the examples.  Specifically I had to insert a pipe in front of the ForEach-Object cmdlet.

PS> [System.String]::Join('',(( new-object system.guid('8c4ac332-975f-4717-ad7b-ba4a4e968fff') ).ToByteArray() |
    ForEach-Object { $_.ToString('x2') } ) )

32c34a8c5f971747ad7bba4a4e968fff

The poster explains about how the Intel byte-order can affect the hex order so, I think that this will explain the two formats of your GUID.

PS>[System.String]::Join('',(( new-object system.guid('{C46E7e7F-361E-4888-9AEA-9CE73C3CB76D}') ).ToByteArray() `
    >> | ForEach-Object { $_.ToString('x2') } ) )
    >> ;
    >>
    7f7e6ec41e3688489aea9ce73c3cb76d

Ta da!  I had to learn about using the grave (` aka "Backtick") as an escape character to continue a line because I was getting the same problem with the pipe character when trying to Paste my previous example.  Learning PowerShell this way is a time-consuming diversion.

It's a clearer explanation of what is happening in this thread which the poster characterizes as a requirement to remove the braces from a GUID in order to create an octet string.  I left the braces on in my example to prove that this method can handle them.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7193370/convert-guid-string-to-octetbytes-using-powershell

Anyway, now we should be in a better position to do the same parsing of that GUID that the MSFT Engineer did for the poster in that first thread I found for you.  Imagine all the useful detail there may be in there for you.   ; )

In any case, I think that this may prove that what might have been at first seen as "corruption" is in fact valid data of some kind.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 26, 2015 11:56 AM
  • What I was commenting on in the picture was the name:  Network Bridge. Was hoping this had something to do with it.

Oh.  I think that's normal.  I have seen it before.  I think it proves that you are trying to use an External Virtual Switch.  E.g. in my case giving the Wi-Fi adapter to Hyper-V and using Virtual Ethernet ports to let the host and client VM connect to the Internet.   (Something like that.)

See the Hyper-V tutorial pages by Eric Siron of Altaro for more details.

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/networking-hyper-v-part-1/

Ben Armstrong has a picture of it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2015/02/02/hyper-v-and-wireless-networking.aspx 

I just noticed that he mentions "bridging" in there before using the term "bridge".  So if you are doing a Find try stopping before typing either the second i or the e.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 26, 2015 12:15 PM
  • Ok, so it's interesting that Hyper-v is still not supported on wi-fi as per the blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2015/02/02/hyper-v-and-wireless-networking.aspx).  Yet I've been using it in this manner up till now and will probably continue to do so afterwards with no issues.

But sharing the NIC out on the host is in fact working for me as a workaround as I just verified it on one VM.

But can MS answer if wi-fi will be supported at some point?

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:32 AM