none
time tracking : Timsheet approval (SEM) PWA2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If the resource clicks on the Send Status button in his/her timesheet, the Timesheet Manager doesn't receive anything in his Approval Center.

If the resource clicks on the Send Timesheet button in his/her timesheet, the Timesheet Manager receives something like My Timesheet. 

Is it the normal behavior?

Do I need to set a Default Assignment Owner ?

Thanks

• Edited by WLID1966 Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi WLID,

are you using the guide of MSProjectEXperts at http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/ChainOfTimesheetApprovers.aspx.

Are you sure that first approver has not Approve permissions on any category? If you look at the timesheet, what status does it have?

One additional idea (not tested with a chain of approval): Is require line approval before timesheet approval enabled in Server Settings - Timesheet Settings and Defaults? This would meen, that Status Manager has to approve before timesheet approval ist possible.

By the way: All Status Updates will always be displayed for approval for Status Manager.

Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:25 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi WLID,

Send status will send status update to Status Manager (in most cases Project Owner). Just add column Status Manager to any task view to see in whose approval center status updates are displayed. He is responsible for a task/project, so updates needs his approval.

Send Timesheet sends timesheet updates to Timesheet Manager as defined on resource level. A Timesheet Manager is reponsible for a resource. He will see all updates within a timesheet, accroos all projects.

Without Single Entry Mode (SEM), these are independent processes. With SEM enabled, sending timesheets will also send status updates at the same time. So pending approvals vor timesheet manager AND status manager.

So with SEM enabled, team member can inform Status Manager also during running timesheet period about any updates, with no need to send and recall timesheet each day.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Barbara,

Thanks for these clear explanations.

I'm trying to set a "2 steps approval" for Timesheets, the first by users with Accept Timesheet permission, the second by users with Approve Timesheet permission.

The first step is working fine. But when this step is Accepted, the final Approver doesn't receive anything in his Approval Center. All the timesheet data arrive in the Approval Center of the Status Manager who built the project, even when I click Send Timesheet. The final Approver is the Timesheet Manager of the intermediate Timesheet "Accepter".

What did I miss?

Thanks again

• Edited by WLID1966 Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:48 AM Send Timsheet
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi WLID,

are you using the guide of MSProjectEXperts at http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/ChainOfTimesheetApprovers.aspx.

Are you sure that first approver has not Approve permissions on any category? If you look at the timesheet, what status does it have?

One additional idea (not tested with a chain of approval): Is require line approval before timesheet approval enabled in Server Settings - Timesheet Settings and Defaults? This would meen, that Status Manager has to approve before timesheet approval ist possible.

By the way: All Status Updates will always be displayed for approval for Status Manager.

Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:25 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Barbara,

Yes, i'm using the guide of MSProjectEXperts but I have several resources in 3 groups, only one Timesheet Accepter, and 3 Timesheet Approvers (1 for each resource group).

I set "Fixed Approval Routing" in Timesheet Settings and Defaults.

You point it ! : the first approver had Approve permission on an other category !

I will work with that!

Thanks a lot

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:25 PM