Slow computer works after being in Safe Mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm puzzled and I'm hoping someone can explain this.

There was a user complaining about poor performance on his Dell Latitude 5530 with Windows 7 Pro. He said it started after some updates loaded on Saturday and has been like that since.

I remoted in and it was indeed extremely sluggish. In task manager the CPU Usage was consistently near or at 100%. I looked at what I could think of and couldn't see anything obvious. Couldn't find any Malware, hardware passed diags, chkdsk ran and didn't find anything, checked the startup folder and MSConfig and didn't see anything obvious but I admit I'm not quite sure what to look for.

I had him boot into Safe Mode and it was better but still sluggish with a CPU usage of around 35%. I finally gave up and we made plans to have him send it in for further testing or reimaging. Then, on my way home, I got a call from him and he said he restarted in normal mode and it's working fine now with a CPU usage around 1%.

The only thing I can think of is that something might have gotten hung up and Safe Mode allowed it to un-hang? I guess I'll see if it's still working tomorrow but I would be greateful if anyone has an explanation or could offer some advice.

Thanks.

Chris Hansen

Monday, January 26, 2015 10:36 PM

Answers

• TH

If the user experiences a slow down again you can have them install then run windows performance recorder (if they have the skillset).  With the trace we should be able to find the cause.

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:55 AM

All replies

• Try a clean boot : https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-au?wa=wsignin1.0

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 26, 2015 11:01 PM
  • It sounds like the laptop is working now, I'm not sure if a clean boot would be useful at this point unless it starts acting up again.

Is a clean boot something you can do remotely and still maintain your remote connection? We use LogMeIn at my work, if I leave those services checked will it maintain its connection?

Chris Hansen

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:02 AM
  • In this case you need to keep those services up and running. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:51 AM
  • TH

If the user experiences a slow down again you can have them install then run windows performance recorder (if they have the skillset).  With the trace we should be able to find the cause.

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:55 AM