new SQL Server Management Pack 6.4 erroneous monitor alerts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we have recently updated our management pack to the newer 6.4.1.0 and we are now seeing alerts on Buffer Cache Hit Ratio and Page Life Expectancy.  After getting the alerts I pulled out my trusty perfmon and found on each host that my buffer cache hit ratio is 100% and my page life expectancy was in the 10s of thousands (most averaged between 40,000 and 70,000)

So I am puzzled as to why SCOM is now reporting this alert, I really have no way of knowing exactly what value was observed by SCOM since the alert does not report the value measured.  Best I can tell these alarms aren't working as expected.  Can anyone shed light on what is happening here?

we are on SCOM 2012.  my sql servers are all SQL Server 2008 R2 running on Windows Server 2008 R2.

thanks,

D

Friday, December 6, 2013 4:59 PM

Answers

• I think I found my problem.  SCOM is not collecting the data so when you look in performance view the counter value is 0.00.  Somehow in the SCOM SQL Server management pack, it cannot tell that its unable to collect the data it just interprets the 0.00 as too low and raises an alert.  These are for counters such as page life expectancy too low and buffer count hit rate too low.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi, you can export sql mp to see how these values are calculated

then you can compare what changes are in MPs in different version using mpwiki - like http://mpwiki.viacode.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=153954

Friday, December 6, 2013 11:03 PM
  • I think I found my problem.  SCOM is not collecting the data so when you look in performance view the counter value is 0.00.  Somehow in the SCOM SQL Server management pack, it cannot tell that its unable to collect the data it just interprets the 0.00 as too low and raises an alert.  These are for counters such as page life expectancy too low and buffer count hit rate too low.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:46 PM