Dedicate Distribution point to clients in same subnet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have our clients in only one subnet, but in different buildings (same city) using VLANs.
    We are currently running SCCM 2012R2 in our head office (one site and one server) and we are deploying applications and updates to all clients/buildings from this server. The network sometimes becomes a bottleneck (even if 1Gb fibre channel) and that's why we are planning to deploy a DP to one other building.

Our AD is all in one Site and one Subnet, so I cannot just create a boundary in SCCM for a AD site/subnet.
    I also investigated the possibility to use policies in DHCP (2012R2) based on client FQDN to separate client IPs and use IP range in boundaries. Unf. it was not possible to dedicate a part of the IP-span based on client FQDN with wildcard.

The question is: How can we dedicate some clients in one building to our new DP when all clients are in the same subnet and same AD Site. We don't want to create a new subnet for them.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:33 AM

Answers

• Well if you can't use IP Subnet or an AD Site Boundary, you don't really have any possibilities to create a dedicated Boundary which you can use to Point to a OnPrem DP, except you would deploy a secondary site to those Locations.

You might want to look at some Branch- Service / Cache Solution like BranchCache or 1E Nomad for example.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

• Edited by Simon Dettling Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tonyf_ Friday, December 18, 2015 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:45 AM
  • AD sites require subnets. Have you considered using Branch Cache in ConfigMgr?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Tonyf_ Friday, December 18, 2015 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:26 AM
  • If you configure the required time for the deployment is excess of a few hours after the available time, then the content will be pre-cached at a random time (random per client) after the available time (this isn't documented and based on personal testing that I am currently verifying with the product group).

This would alleviate the pressure on the network. You could also temporarily implement BITS throttling during times when you know you are pushing out deployments with larger payloads.

Or, use BranchCache as Torsten recommends.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:05 PM

All replies

• Well if you can't use IP Subnet or an AD Site Boundary, you don't really have any possibilities to create a dedicated Boundary which you can use to Point to a OnPrem DP, except you would deploy a secondary site to those Locations.

You might want to look at some Branch- Service / Cache Solution like BranchCache or 1E Nomad for example.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

• Edited by Simon Dettling Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:45 AM
  • How many clients are we talking about that 1Gb becomes a bottleneck?
    Plus ConfigMgr cannot do any magic if you can't create a new subnet and/or AD site (which would be preferred).

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:22 AM
  • 1Gb usually works fine, but when we deploy larger packages (such as Office 2016 or some service packs etc) we have got complains that the network is slow during that time, but the number of clients that share this 1 Gb connection are  only approx 300.

I'm not 100% familiar with AD Sites. Have I understood correct that AD sites are also defined on subnets or can I have several "logical" sites on the same subnet to separate clients for a boundary in sccm?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:53 AM
  • AD sites require subnets. Have you considered using Branch Cache in ConfigMgr?

• Marked as answer by Tonyf_ Friday, December 18, 2015 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:26 AM
  • If you configure the required time for the deployment is excess of a few hours after the available time, then the content will be pre-cached at a random time (random per client) after the available time (this isn't documented and based on personal testing that I am currently verifying with the product group).

This would alleviate the pressure on the network. You could also temporarily implement BITS throttling during times when you know you are pushing out deployments with larger payloads.

Or, use BranchCache as Torsten recommends.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:05 PM
  • Thank you all for your answers. I read about Branch Cache today (not familiar with that). Seems easy to setup, so we may consider that.

The thing that worries me is if the clients (esp. the first ones) will be slow when other clients start do download from them? (We have around 70% laptops on wlan.) Another thing is diskspace. Where will data be stored on the clients?, how much free space required and so on?. Will the space be free again at branch cache clients if I delete an application from sccm?

I suppose I cannot only use Branch Cache at desktops and laptops still collect data from them, but does not act as cache for other...?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Thank you for the information, good to know.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:22 PM
  • BranchCache has in-built throttling to make sure that clients are not impacted by others downloading from them. Laptops can stopped from serving other peers while on battery with the 'Serve peers on battery power' GPO setting.

You can configure the BranchCache cache size - but it's not connected in any way to the ConfigMgr Cache so you need to manage that. You can control how long BranchCache keeps data in the cache via GPO too.

In Windows 10, the BranchCache cache will also dynamically shrink if disk space becomes restricted, and the oldest data in there will be removed first.

Basically BranchCache + ConfigMgr works pretty well in fast networks and really reduces the network impact with little config required.

thanks

Phil

Phil Wilcock http://2pintsoftware.com @2pintsoftware

Thursday, December 24, 2015 12:31 PM