Save Open dialog box opening very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 7 professional 64bit OS. whenever i try to open/save as dialog box it appears very slow, then it will say it is not responding then after 10-15sec it will come alive.

Need help!!!!!!

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, 

The Open/Save As behavior is controlled by several system functions. The issue occurs if one of these functions does not work. I suspect that your anti-virus or firewall blocks this
    action. Please temporary disable the firewall and anti-virus, and then check the result.

I also would like to confirm if this issue occurred on IE?

You may try to reset Internet Explorer settings to see the results.

Reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Please understand that reset Internet Explorer to its default configuration. This step will also disable any add-ons, plug-ins, or toolbars that are installed.

If the issue persists, please boot in Clean Boot Mode. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:32 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Hi Blair,

Thanks ... it worked... but i had to stop my lot of services. Enabling them was a real tedious task. 

ansh sriv

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Blair,

I followed your suggestions above....reset IE ...clean boot. Didn't solve the problem.  (had trouble making that MSCONFIG window bigger !? <wink>)

Problem still exists.  And to be clear, here is the problem(s) ...I believe they are all interrelated.

#1.  I end the explorer.exe process and restart it.  Run Explorer and start clicking folders in my FAVORITES.  System hangs for about 10 seconds before it catches up.

Alternatly, after a explorer.exe restart, if I run explorer and start clicking down through folders from the C: drive, there is no hang.   SUSPECT - some sort of file for favorites needs to be rebuilt?!

#2. Open MS Word.  Type a few letters.  Select File/Save.  Most icons under Favorites are white.  Trying clicking more than one, but system hangs for ten seconds until icons fill in.

#3.  WINDOWS button, start typing in the search INTERNET....5-10 seconds before Internet Explorer (and other INT* things show up.!  Usually this is instantaneous.

System Info:

Great machine and fast for over a year, and now this started FYI.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Dell System XPS L321X
    x64-based PC
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2467M CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    4 gb Ram

256 SSD

ACTIONS TAKEN:  (estimated 30 reboots today)

- Ensure all folders are GENERAL under properties

- Advanced Attributes - turned off "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"

- Checked Indexed location is C: drive/ User/ just my data areas....reindexed

- Tried reboot with Windows Search service disabled....no help.  Turned back on.

- Tried MS Essentials off.  Tried Firewall off

- Rebuilt ICONCACHE - was 8mb, now less 450kb

- Archived OUTLOOK down to a reasonable size (and had to do the manual compress to reduce the file size after)

- turned off some Windows visual effects.

- Turned off Dropbox from autostarting....this was before I tried the Clean Boot

- turned by ON (default)  in Startup - though it has Unknown MFG and no details  :~(   , i found that it likely is needed for my 64 bit machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:39 AM