none
DPM2012 Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I currently use DPM2010.  I'm looking at moving to 2012, however, with it now being bundled with System Center 2012, I'm a little unclear on how things work.

1. Can I still just install DPM2012 or if I am required to install the whole System Center Suite in order for DPM2012 to work?  

2. If I want to install System Center Operations Manager, can I install it on the same server used for DPM2012?

• Edited by Caleb44 Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:35 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1/ you can install only DPM 2012 if you want to.

2/ You can't install DPM on a server that is also SCOM Management Server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757829.aspx)

• Marked as answer by Caleb44 Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:14 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1/ you can install only DPM 2012 if you want to.

2/ You can't install DPM on a server that is also SCOM Management Server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757829.aspx)

• Marked as answer by Caleb44 Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:14 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hi

Have a look here at this article, it explains licensing in nice detail:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/system-center-2012-licensing-primer/5310

With regards to installing DPM, it needs to be installed on a single dedicated server and should not be installed with other applications like Exchange, SCOM or part of a server that has the application server role installed or a computer that is a node in a cluster.

You can look at the requirements here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757829.aspx

Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Thanks guys.  

1. Do you know why you can't install both components (DPM and Ops Manager) on the same server?  It seems like those two components would fit nicely together and would waste less hardware for a small business like us.

2. Can DPM2012 be installed as a VM and OPs Manager as a another VM, all on the same hardware?

• Edited by Caleb44 Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:33 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi caleb44,

1- Not supported by Microsoft but it will probably works :)

2- Yes.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Thanks Stephane!
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:14 PM
  • SCOM is very resource intensive and it is recommended to run DPM separately. 

Based on personal experience i have run them together but later on uninstalled DPM and setup 2x virtial machines and installed them separately as 

It is not supported. 

Yes you can run them as VM's on the same hardware, no problem.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:18 PM
  • good to know.  Thanks DareDevil.  What were the hardware specs that you were running them on when you deployed them as VM's?  Also what where the spec when you ran then installed on the same machine?
    • Edited by Caleb44 Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:52 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:51 PM
  • I have quad core processors with 32GB's ram, 12 Nics, 6x 146GB HDD. I allocate SCOM 12GB and about the same to DPM but allocate more storage to DPM as SCOM's SQL DB is not that big although can grow quite quickly but i keep it in check. 
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:58 PM
  • That's a beefy machine.  Hard to believe that it didn't run well when installed on the same OS.  How large is the environment you're managing?
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:22 PM
  • The problem is SQL, SCOM writes alot of information and memory usage is very high even if you throttle it. Im managing about 130 machines.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Wow, that's good to know.  How large does your SQL database get?  I've never deployed SCOM so this is all good info for me.  thanks.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 3:34 PM