none
What are the differences between Turn in Final Timesheet and the other option: Send Progress for Selected Tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The resource filled his/her timesheet in PWA. 

Now : 

What are the differences between Turn in Final Timesheet and the other option: Send Progress for Selected Tasks?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:58 AM

Answers

• Yes, when you open Project, the system will tell you that you have updates to accept or reject. If you are asking how to get these to flow into project automatically, without having to open the project and accept updates, then you can create an auto approval rule that automatically accepts and updates and publishes the results. Note, that your 2010 system should have current patches installed for this all to  work well.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, February 3, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• Timesheet in project server consist Task form Project assigned to reosurce and Administrative task.

Timesheet = Task form project assigned to resource + Administrative task ,leave, Personal work

when you will fill actual for Task of Project  it send update to Task Status Manager

When you fill Administrative task ,leave, Personal work then it send that update to Timesheet manager.

It means when you send Final timsheet all the task update goes to Task Status manager approval and if you have filled time for administrative, leave, Personal work then it goes to Timesheet manager.

i. e. Send progress for selected task means suppose you have 5 task assigned to you and you only want to fill actual for 4 till Thursday and your project owner want update on those task in  urgency then you will select only those task and send selected task.

As you can not send final timesheet to him.

Now on friday you can send final timesheet to your timesheet manager .

Final turn out : This will consist your Task from Project + Administrative task if any 

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:10 AM
  • Hi Kirtesh

Form my experiment, it seems that…

Turn in Final Timesheet sends the timesheet to the Timesheet Manager for Approval. After Approval the progress can be seen in Project Professional 2013 (Tracking Gantt or Task Usage) as well as in Project Web App.

Send Progress for Selected Tasks sends the progress directly in Project Professional 2010 (The Timesheet Manager doesn't receive anything in his Approval center. No progress at all can be seen in PWA, whatever the view.

Is it true?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:28 PM
  • You are partially correct and partially wrong.

Turn in Final Timesheet sends the timesheet to the Timesheet Manager for Approval but task update always goes to Status manger of the task. Taks manager you can see in MPP(insert status manager field then check)

Yes after approval progress will be available in MPP as well as in Projectweb app as % complete . 

Send Progress for Selected Tasks  Send progress of selected task to status manager after approval update will be available in both MPP and Projectweb app as % complete.

In Send Progress for Selected Tasks Timesheet Manager doesn't receive anything in his Approval center because all the update directly go to Status manager Approval center.

Here you have to understand that there are two role Timesheet Manager(for timesheet approval) and Status manager(for task actual approval) 

kirtesh

• Proposed as answer by Jalal blali Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:40 PM
  • I have both the two roles: Timesheet Manager and Status Manager.

When the resource clicks on "Send Progress for Selected Tasks" I don't receive any information about progress:

• I just discover it in Project Pro 2013.
    • The schedule in PWA is not updated.

What I must do to get the schedule updated in Project Web App ?

When I publish again the project in Project Pro, the schedule is updated in PWA. So it is not possible to get the schedule directly updated in PWA?

NB: I'm in Single Entry Mode
    • Edited by Robert6156 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Open MPP file then insert Status manager field in the Project plan assign your name in fornt of the task for which you are expecting updates then publish the project plan.

I am suspecting you are not acting as status manager for the tasks

Ask resources to update the actual for the task for current time period then send progress for selected task. It will come for your approval once you will approve it and then open project and publish it again then only updated progress will show in plan(mpp and PWA).

IF still have issue ask reosurce to recreate the timesheet then fill the actual and send it for approval.

In the link  you will get the same information what i am telling you. 

As you have both the role 

Timesheet Manager Timesheet will come when they will send turn out final timesheet 

Status Manager Taks update will come once they will fill the actual and send it to you.

kirtesh

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Yes, when you open Project, the system will tell you that you have updates to accept or reject. If you are asking how to get these to flow into project automatically, without having to open the project and accept updates, then you can create an auto approval rule that automatically accepts and updates and publishes the results. Note, that your 2010 system should have current patches installed for this all to  work well.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, February 3, 2014 12:56 PM