Task scheduler not doing anything RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Sony Vaio laptop. 

The power settings are set so that when I close the lid, the computer enters sleep mode.  Also, it is set to require a password upon resuming.

My goal is to have the computer resume from sleep mode approximately a half hour before my alarm goes off in the morning.  I would like my computer to perform basic tasks like downloading my RSS feeds, syncing my calendars, etc. 

I have an AutoHotKey script that does every task I need it to do.  I am simply trying to make the computer run this AutoHotKey script at a set time. 

When I made a task with Task Scheduler, the computer woke, stayed at the password screen for approximately 2-3 minutes, and returned to sleep.

The "History" tab on the task showed that the task ran--however, the items that it was supposed to do were not completed. 

I tried running the scheduled task again.  This time, when it resumed from sleep and stopped at the password screen, I input my password.  The task scheduler listed the task as "Running".  The AutoHotKey script had not been launched, though. 

I have also tried a freeware application called Wakeup On Stand By.  This application still left the password screen on the display, but apparently was able to launch the script anyway.  I would use this option, but the script does not behave appropriately.  (The script sends keystrokes that the computer did not accept since it was behind the password screen.)

As a test, I also tried changing the task to only run notepad.  Again, the computer woke up, and, according to task scheduler, ran the task, but Notepad was not opened. 

When creating the tasks, I was sure to check "Run whether user is logged on or not", "wake the computer to run this task" and "run with highest privileges".  I also tried it with "Do not store password" both checked and unchecked.

What am I doing wrong?  Is there a way to make my computer wake up and run these tasks?  Is there an alternative application that can do the job?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
    LDL
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:44 AM

Answers

• I have a question whether the sleep mode you mentioned is to keep the computer in standby or turn off the computer. According to my experience, if you would like to run the scheduled task, you should keep the computer open. Unlike Standby, when a computer is sleeping for a long time, it is completely off; just like shutting down. It just saves the computers state to the hard drive and boots up using a different bootloader. Therefore, if you would run the scheduled task, you should keep the computer in the status of Standby. You might also change the Multimedia settings value to Prevent idling to sleep in Power Options advanced setting. Thanks for your time and understanding!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, January 19, 2009 12:18 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First of all, you should refer to the following KB article to know more about Vista Sleep.

System Sleeping States

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms798270.aspx

For your current situation, if you enabled the Hibernate feature in power advanced settings, please perform the following steps to disable it: go to the command prompt icon in the Start menu under Accessories and right click the icon; select "Run as administrator". Copy and paste "powercfg -h off "and hit Enter.

Good luck!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:44 AM
  • I just tried disabling hibernate, but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. 

I'm not sure that it's a power management issue.  Task scheduler reliably manages to wake the computer from sleep.  It just won't login or actually run the action that the task specifies. 

What could be causing that?

Thanks,
    LDL
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:36 AM
  • I have a question whether the sleep mode you mentioned is to keep the computer in standby or turn off the computer. According to my experience, if you would like to run the scheduled task, you should keep the computer open. Unlike Standby, when a computer is sleeping for a long time, it is completely off; just like shutting down. It just saves the computers state to the hard drive and boots up using a different bootloader. Therefore, if you would run the scheduled task, you should keep the computer in the status of Standby. You might also change the Multimedia settings value to Prevent idling to sleep in Power Options advanced setting. Thanks for your time and understanding!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, January 19, 2009 12:18 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:37 PM