none
Hyper-V 2016 Replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have successfully created a Hyper-v cluster with 2 host, 12 VM roles, each with it's CSV on share HPE MSA 2052 storage.

I am to create a DR cluster with similar hardware, and not sure how to about the DR setup. Haven't been able to find any step by step guide on how to do this.

Should I create similar CSV, then use a hyper-v broker to point to them as destinations for each VMs?

Monday, December 2, 2019 3:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• The HPE MSA 2052 has remote replication capability, so you can get a second SAN and replicate the VM data over to the secondary site with additional servers in the backup site attached to the same CSV. This will give you significant DR capability and hot failover to a secondary site. Just note that this will require a lot of bandwidth between sites to deploy. You will want to look more to HPE support for this situation, as it's really the best way to handle High Availability if you are utilizing CSV for Hyper-V.

Adam Brown

MCSE, CISSP

Blog: AC Brown's IT World

Monday, December 2, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi Adam.

I already have a second SAN, but not sure about the MSA replication feature being ideal for hot failover, considering it's replication is asynchronous. Don't you think Hyper-v replication would be ideal in this situation 

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:04 PM
  • >>Don't you think Hyper-v replication would be ideal in this situation 

Yes, i think it is a good way.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/jj134207(v%3Dws.11)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, December 9, 2019 8:04 AM