windows 7 aero malfunctions RRS feed

• Question

• When I first started using Windows 7 aero, I was able to drag windows to the right of left side of the screen to view them side-by-side. I have noticed recently that whenever I drag a window it will only maximize the window not dock it to the left or right. I do not recall changing any settings but would like to know how to be able to dock them to the side again.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 2:15 AM

All replies

• As first remark: the Windows drag feature is not dependent on Aero. it shoudl also work in a non -aero theme.

I do not  see a clear reason fot he behaviour you indicate, but I would suggest following ways of troubleshoting:

* verify whether it works using teh Windows-key + Left or Right arrow key.

* use Windows Update to install all updates, also check the optional updates

* Reinstall and/or update the drivers for your graphics card

* Check the resolution to match the physical display, it might help to swith back and forth once.

* if you use multiple monitors, check http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-multiple-monitor-problems.

* use SFC (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833) te recover from system file corruption

* use Windows System Restore to restore Windows to a known good state.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    • Edited by SenneVL Friday, September 30, 2011 2:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:37 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:33 PM
  • The feature you're referring to is called Aero Snap. You might have disabled it involuntarily. To re-enable it, navigate to the path shown in blue and ensure that the checkbox highlighted in red is unchecked as shown in the screenshot below:

Please post back here if this does not fix your problem. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | I'm on facebook.com/serverbaba
    • Edited by Server Baba Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:32 PM clarity
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:37 AM
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:31 PM