none
Need DPM to recalculate space requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running a test install of DPM 2012 on a 2012 server before rolling out to a permanent server. I've got a test file share on a Windows 2008 R2 server and want to just test setups and recovery. 

Initially I chose two file shares and system state.  I didn't realize that one of the file shares included a subfolder of a current Windows Backup file (> 300gb) so I created another share with a 25gb subset and included the other share. I cancelled out of the wizard never having gotten past the file size estimate.

The problem is that when I go back to create a new data protection group DPM will not recalculate the requirements. It consistently shows the original requirements of >300gb when now I'm only protecting ~30gb.

I've restarted the service on the destination machine.  Tried removing the datasources xml file to see if it would recreate it but it doesn't appear that it will. Must happen on install.

Anyway, ideas on what I need to do to get this to recalculate the requirements?

Thanks,

Jerry

Monday, December 9, 2013 10:22 PM

Answers

• HI,

First of all, DPM 2012 is not supported on Windows 2012.  You need to either install it on Windows 2008 R2, or use DPM 2012 SP1 which is supported on Windows 2012. 

When you protect select folders or shares, DPM will by default include the entire volume.  If you want DPM to actually go to the protected server and total up just the selected folders or shares, you need to click on the calculate button which should reduce the space requirements.

BEFORE CALCULATE

AFTER CALCULATE

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 9, 2013 11:12 PM

All replies

• HI,

First of all, DPM 2012 is not supported on Windows 2012.  You need to either install it on Windows 2008 R2, or use DPM 2012 SP1 which is supported on Windows 2012. 

When you protect select folders or shares, DPM will by default include the entire volume.  If you want DPM to actually go to the protected server and total up just the selected folders or shares, you need to click on the calculate button which should reduce the space requirements.

BEFORE CALCULATE

AFTER CALCULATE

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 9, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Thanks so much for the super quick answer. 

I'll be more precise next time since I do use SP1 and did select specific folders but I missed the calculate link.

Jerry.

Monday, December 9, 2013 11:19 PM