Sending Notification when Analyst adds Notes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I'm trying to create a notification subscription that will send an email whenever Notes are added to the request.

I have two subscriptions to handle this. One for the first note added to a request and another for any notes added after that.

The first one kicks off when Notes go from "is empty" to "is not empty" in the request

The second kicks off when Notes go to "is not empty" but this subscription kicks off whenever any other aspect of the request is changed. So, if there's a note already in the request and I change the priority of request, an email is still sent even though I didn't add any new notes.

I understand why it does this, but I do not know how to get around this. Has anyone tried making subscriptions for this or have any other thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you,

Gary Winhoven

Monday, October 2, 2017 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary

I don"t think you can get around it with the out of the box subscriptions. The problem is there is no trigger for the a specific field updating unless you know the starting value and the end value - which is not the case with the notes field.

I have seen customers add a custom property, usually a Boolean field (eg Update Notification) that the analysts tick when they update the notes field. This boolean field is reset via a Powershell script over night. the assumption in this case was that one notification a day was acceptable and that analysts wanted to control if an update was sent out.

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andreas BaumgartenMVP Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:05 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hello,

Under history we could see property changes for notes from old value to new value after you change notes for the work item. 

I suggest you may try to create notification when an object of the selected class is updated (select change request class). And notes change from * , change to *. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andreas BaumgartenMVP Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Gary

I don"t think you can get around it with the out of the box subscriptions. The problem is there is no trigger for the a specific field updating unless you know the starting value and the end value - which is not the case with the notes field.

I have seen customers add a custom property, usually a Boolean field (eg Update Notification) that the analysts tick when they update the notes field. This boolean field is reset via a Powershell script over night. the assumption in this case was that one notification a day was acceptable and that analysts wanted to control if an update was sent out.

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:05 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hello,

Under history we could see property changes for notes from old value to new value after you change notes for the work item. 

I suggest you may try to create notification when an object of the selected class is updated (select change request class). And notes change from * , change to *. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:28 AM