Outlook 2019 - Add custom icon that is triggered by a header? Also questions about other Header-triggered icons. RRS feed

• Question

• How can I in Outlook 2019, add a custom icon (using View Settings --> Columns --> Custom fields in inbox --> New Column) - that is triggered by a header?

I get the following options:

Name

Type

Format

What I want to do, is to add a little green checkmark or green shield icon, that is triggered by the header "Authentication-Results" having the string "spf=pass" somewhere and in the same way, have a red crossed-over shield icon, or a red cross, if "Authentication-Results" contains "spf=softfail" or "spf=hardfail" somewhere.

In this way, I could at a glance see if the email from my bank asking for info, is genuine or not.

I would rather not have to write a script or filter or similiar, but simply have icons that are triggered by the headers, if its possible to add such icons?

The only icons I have found that is triggered by headers are:

X-Priority, where a value of 5 triggers a "exclamation mark" icon, and a value of 1 triggers a "downwards arrow" icon.

Is there some more header-triggered icons in Outlook 2019 that I could "recycle" and use for other things? (Im the email administrator and have the possibility to set/unset any header inside the email server, based on genuinity or authentication checks)

If there is a list of all header-triggered icons in the mail view, and which headers that need to be set to trigger them.

I tried with Sensitivity: company-confidental in the hope of generating some "key" or "lock" icon, but instead it just added a text notification to the email message to treat the email as confidental, and the "column" value for "Sensitivity" adds a extra line in the mail view, instead of having it as a icon.

Is it possible somehow to add custom text notifications/messages to a email using a header? Tried with "Sender flag" but that feature seems to have been scrapped.

Saturday, April 25, 2020 12:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi sebastiannielsen,

enable Categories column as shown here and set the header Keywords.

Saturday, April 25, 2020 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it is suggested to use Outlook Inbox rule and Categories to meet your needs.

1. In Outlook client, click File > Rules and Alerts > New Rule > Apply rule on messages I receive.
    2. In Select conditions tab, select "with specific words in the message header" > Next.
    3. In Selcet action tab, select "assign it to the category" and choose a category > Next.
    4. You can adjust this rule according to your needs, add more conditions and actions.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2020 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:02 AM
  • Thank you, Victor Ivanidze_, this solution worked the best.

I even changed the names of the categories, and added the following rules to my email server:

warn
        spf = pass
        add_header = X-SPF-Signature: $spf_result $spf_header_comment
        set acl_m1 = 3
        set acl_m2 = Mejlet har en giltig SPF-signatur. Du kan lita p=C3=A5 detta mejl.
      warn
        spf = none : neutral
        set acl_m1 = 2
        set acl_m2 = Mejlet saknar SPF-signatur.
      warn
        spf = permerror : temperror
        log_message = SPF failure: $spf_header_comment
        set acl_m1 = 1
        set acl_m2 = Ett tekniskt problem uppstod vid signaturkontrollen f=C3=B6r SPF.
      accept

Then in the DKIM section:

accept
               dkim_status = fail
               add_header = X-DKIM-Signature: fail (address=$sender_address domain=$dkim_cur_signer), signature is bad.
               add_header = Keywords: =?UTF-8?Q?$acl_m2,Mejlets DKIM-signatur =C3=A4r f=C3=B6rfalskad.?=
               add_header = X-Priority: ${if eq {$acl_m1}{3}{3}{1}}
          accept
               dkim_status = invalid
               add_header = X-DKIM-Signature: invalid ($dkim_verify_status); $dkim_verify_reason
               add_header = Keywords: =?UTF-8?Q?$acl_m2,Ett tekniskt problem uppstod vid signaturkontrollen f=C3=B6r DKIM.?=
               add_header = X-Priority: ${if eq {$acl_m1}{3}{3}{5}}
          accept
               dkim_status = pass
               add_header = X-DKIM-Signature: pass (address=$sender_address domain=$dkim_cur_signer), signature is good.
               add_header = Keywords: =?UTF-8?Q?$acl_m2,Mejlet har en giltig DKIM-signatur. Du kan lita p=C3=A5 detta mejl.?=
               add_header = X-Priority: 3
          accept
               dkim_status = none
               add_header = X-DKIM-Signature: none
               add_header = Keywords: =?UTF-8?Q?$acl_m2,Mejlet saknar DKIM-signatur.?=
               add_header = X-Priority: ${if eq {$acl_m1}{3}{3}{ ${if eq {$acl_m1}{2}{1}{5}}}}

After that, I set up my categories in Outlook:

After that, it works perfectly, without rules. And I even get multiple color boxes for each signature type.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 9:51 PM
  • I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed and thanks for your all your sharing:)

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, May 1, 2020 1:16 AM