Outlook 2016 Adobe PDF Maker RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Currently working on an issue with Outlook 2016 Save as Adobe PDF option. We are currently running Office 2016 and Acrobat 2017 on an Windows 2012 R2 RSD server. Users are attempting to use the Save as Adobe PDF option. PDF Maker launches acts as though it will save then does nothing. I did find that giving users local admin rights to the server does resolve the issue (which obviously we don't want as a solution). After I have repaired office, Save as Adobe PDF works for several hours then stops. Users slowly lose access to this option.

I have done the following:

- Repair and Reinstall Adobe

- Repair and Reinstall Office 2016

- Ensure all programs are up to date

- Review permissions on all applications and folder locations to ensure permissions are set

- Confirmed they have permissions to where they are storing the files.

- Reviewed event logs for possible errors

Has anyone seen an issue like this before? I reached out to Adobe on the issue and their response was "Ask Microsoft".

Thank you

• Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:12 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Riazur,

Was the Acrobat PDFMaker Add-in enabled for Office 2016? To check this:

• Open Outlook 2016 and click File > Options > Add-ins.
    • Select COM Add-ins next to Manage and click Go.
    • In the list of available add-ins, find the Acrobat PDFMaker COM Add-in and check if it's enabled. If it isn't, check the box to enable it.

Does it only occur to Outlook? Can you use this option on Word or Excel?

>>I did find that giving users local admin rights to the server does resolve the issue (which obviously we don't want as a solution

From the description, this issue seems to be related with permission. What’s the permission for those folders? Modify?

Are there any antivirus software running on these PCs? In this case, please temporarily close all antivirus programs to check the results.

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, July 1, 2019 2:19 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Hi Riazur,

Was the Acrobat PDFMaker Add-in enabled for Office 2016? To check this:

• Open Outlook 2016 and click File > Options > Add-ins.
    • Select COM Add-ins next to Manage and click Go.
    • In the list of available add-ins, find the Acrobat PDFMaker COM Add-in and check if it's enabled. If it isn't, check the box to enable it.

Does it only occur to Outlook? Can you use this option on Word or Excel?

>>I did find that giving users local admin rights to the server does resolve the issue (which obviously we don't want as a solution

From the description, this issue seems to be related with permission. What’s the permission for those folders? Modify?

Are there any antivirus software running on these PCs? In this case, please temporarily close all antivirus programs to check the results.

Perry Pan

Hello Perry,

Yes the adding is showing in all Office products. They function works in Word and Excel without higher level permissions. I made sure that users have full permissions to the folder that they are saving to (My Documents). I have also disabled the AV to test and reviewed the AV logs. It is not blocking the Addin or it functions.

Note, this is running off of a Windows 2012 R2 RDS server. As of this morning, a server reboot has fixed it again, but I believe that once users start logging into the server that this will start failing again as before.

Ryan

Monday, July 1, 2019 12:23 PM
  • As I figured, this was working this morning for about 2 hours. Once all users started logging in, some users are not able to use the Save as PDF function in Outlook, but others can. The only thing that I have noticed is that there was an error in the PDF printer that needed to be cleared though this did not prevent printing to PDF. 
    Monday, July 1, 2019 3:18 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

I researched a lot but haven't found related official articles regarding this issue. My current thought is that we can run Process Monitor when users click Save as Adobe PDF option and see which access may be blocked during this process.

You can find this tool from this link

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, July 4, 2019 5:42 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Thank you. I have created a log and sent it off. Further review and it looks like this starts effecting users on the server after about 10 people login. I am noticing is when users do Save as PDF that a process called HTML2PDF for 64bit PDFMOutlook.dll (32bit) stays open. It is only open for one user ever though. 

Ryan

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Do you mean issue occurs when 10 people login in Windows server?

I checked File System Activity but haven’t found which access was blocked. I also checked some documents about Adobe PDF Maker. There seems to be no such a limitation on windows server. Most pdfmoutlook issues are caused by the application executing the process. The surest way to fix these errors is to update or uninstall this application. Therefore, it was recommended to search the Adobe Systems Incorporated website for the latest PDFMOutlook Module update.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, July 4, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Thank you for the update. I was on the phone with Adobe since I believe now it is an issue there. The issue appears when the first user on the server uses the "Save as PDF" function. It opens a program called HTML2PDF wrapper for x64bit.exe. This process stays open until the user closes Outlook then another user can use the function. We are currently looking at a complete removal of Adobe and reinstall to test again. 

This is happening on both servers so I am not certain a complete reinstall will fix the issue. I believe it has something to do with that .exe getting lock to one Outlook process. 

Ryan

Monday, July 8, 2019 1:01 PM
  • Thank you for sharing the information here. Hope reinstalling Adobe would work for you.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:28 AM