Exchange Hosted :- Mailflow between internal clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, 

I have exchange 2010 environment where we have deployed multiple clients. Am i also having exchange 2016 environment where multiple customers are deployed. Both are different forest. 

Now i am in process of  moving client /client mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to 2016. 

Just now we have completed movement of one client. Now MX pointers are changed so external mails are getting delivered to exchange 2016. Now customers those are still running on exchange 2010 are trying to send mails to users which are moved to Exchange 2016 and emails are getting delivered to old mailbox (Exchange 2010 Mailbox). 

I want those emails to be delivered to Exchange 2016 environment without deleting old mailboxes. 

Is it possible? I tried to delete domain from the exchange 2010 accepted domains which is moved to exchange 2016 but no luck.  

Thanks, Chinmay.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:30 PM

Answers

• Thanks for replies ...

Actually, the issue is when i am sending email from exchange 2010 to the user which is migrated to the exchange 2016 that time exchange 2010 is resolving that user locally as a result it is not delivering to the exchange 2016.  

I have to delete those migrated mailboxes from the exchange 2010 so that it will not resolve locally and then email will get delivered to exchange 2016.  

Thanks, Chinmay.

• Marked as answer by Chinmayjoshi25 Friday, November 15, 2019 5:21 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Chinmay.

I hope only Exchange 2016 send/receive message to internet.

1. You need create Send/Receive connector for domain from Exchange 2016 to Exchange 2010 (both way).

2. Change SMTP Domain to internal relay in Exchange 2016 and save Accepted domains in Exchange 2010.

Accepted domains in Exchange Server

3. After when you move all user mailbox from Exchange 2010, you can remove Accepted domains and covert Exchange 2016 domain from Internal relay to Accepted domain.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:46 PM
  • Thanks for reply. 

What if i delete exchange 2010 mailboxes which are migrated to Exchange 2016? 

Now the domain which is migrated to exchange 2016 is getting resolved on exchange 2010 locally and still mailboxes are exists. As a result exchange 2010 Hub is delivering emails to old mailboxes. 

Thanks, Chinmay.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:56 PM
  • If you delete all mailbox from Exchange 2010:

1. Save connector for this domain name.

2. Remove domain from Exchange 2010  internal relay list.

3. Exchange 2016 must be have Accepted domains this domain.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:00 PM
  • Migrated domain is already added in acceptance domain in exchange 2016 and all external emails are getting delivered. 

I dont have internal relay configured. 

It is very simple setup. Two exchange setup where multiple domains are hosted. no coexistence, these are two separate exchange. 

Now Domain.local which is configured on exchange 2010. I have migrated all mailboxes which are belongs to domain.local to exchange 2016 and MX is changed, accepted domain.local. 

External mailflow is fine for that domain. 

Issue is when i am sending email from domain which is there in exchange 2010 to domain.local, then email is getting delivered to exchange 2010. Because that domain still exist on Exchange 2010. So it is getting resolved locally, it is not checking MX. 

I want emails sent to domain.local to be delivered to exchange 2016 like external emails.  

domain.local should not be revolved locally. 

Thanks, Chinmay.

• Edited by Chinmayjoshi25 Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:56 PM typo error
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016 local in one Exchange Organization or different? 

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:28 PM
  • it is completely different. 

Thanks, Chinmay.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:37 PM
  • If different, you need:

1. Add  Domain.local to both organization  and create both way connector for this domain.

2. On Exchange 2010 Domain.local  Internal relay, because Exchange 2010 not have mailbox. On Exchange 2016 Domain.local Accepted domain.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Configure your 2016 environment's accepted domain of domain.local to be Internal relay. Configure the Exchange 2010 to have that domain as well, but set as an authoritative domain. More info here.

Adam Brown

MCSE, CISSP

Blog: AC Brown's IT World

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Hi, 

From above information, I know those two Exchange server are in different forest and domain.

If you want to send email from one to another, there have two ways:

1. Publish those two Exchange servers to internet and create MX record from ISP for them, create send connector in both Exchange server which used to send emails to internet. Then, mailbox in different organization can send emails to each other.

2. As Oleg.Kovalenko said, create two way trust for those two domain/forest, then create a cross-forest send connector in both Exchange servers. They will could send email to each other.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Thanks for replies ...

Actually, the issue is when i am sending email from exchange 2010 to the user which is migrated to the exchange 2016 that time exchange 2010 is resolving that user locally as a result it is not delivering to the exchange 2016.  

I have to delete those migrated mailboxes from the exchange 2010 so that it will not resolve locally and then email will get delivered to exchange 2016.  

Thanks, Chinmay.

• Marked as answer by Chinmayjoshi25 Friday, November 15, 2019 5:21 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a summary for this thread:

Question:

After migration and change MX record, emails sent from Exchange 2010 still deliver to old Exchange server.

Solution Summary:

There exist old migrated mailbox on Exchange 2010 server, when sent email, it will resolved locally and deliver to this mailbox, so we need to remove this old one from Exchange 2010.

(May be useful)If those two forests hosted different domain name(new and old will be different), we can also try to delete autocomplete list from mailbox and try to send email again.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 24, 2019 12:09 PM
  • Autocomplete cache will help but not in my case. 

As we have hosted Exchange 2010 we have multiple customers (ABC.local, DEF.local, XYZ.local ....so on) 

Again we have Exchange 2016 where multiple customers. (YYY.local, ZZZ.local, AAA.local ..so on. 

We migrated all mailboxes of let say ABC.local and changed the MX. 

Now on exchange 2016 we have (ABC.local, YYY.local, ZZZ.local, AAA.local ..so on.

We have not removed ABC.local from exchange 2010. So When email from yyy.local send to abc.local it will get deliverd to abc.local on exchange 2010. because it is avalialbe on same exchange server.  

So until we delete ABC.local from exchange 2010, emails from YYY.local or any other domain hosted on same exchange will not deliver to ABC.local on Exchange 2016.  

Thanks, Chinmay.

Monday, November 25, 2019 5:17 PM