Windows desktop application crashes while closing after windows update. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently i updated the windows patch KB4048957 Monthly Rollup.

After that my application start crashing while closing. I checked the logs and found that the application is crashing when 

FreeLibrary() function gets called.  It is trying to un-register all the dlls and at last it crashes.

The last statement i trapped using application verifier is  

<avrf:trace>mfc120u!+6e7e8f33 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>mfc120u!+6e7e9155 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>mfc120u!+6e6e7e8e ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>USER32!gapfnScSendMessage+332 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>USER32!GetThreadDesktop+d7 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>USER32!CharPrevW+138 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>USER32!DispatchMessageW+f ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>
    <avrf:trace>mfc120u!+6e7d86f2 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>

<avrf:trace>kernel32!BaseThreadInitThunk+12 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace> <avrf:trace>ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+63 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace> <avrf:trace>ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+36 ( @ 0)</avrf:trace>

However in other OS(win10 or windows server) this issue doesn't occur. Even on win7 if we don't have this patch applied( KB4048957 Monthly Rollup), this issue doesn't happen.

Can somebody please help to understand why it occurring due to patch.

Nihal.k

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps: 
    1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).
    2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.
    Please try to use clean boot to avoid third party conflict.
    Here is a link for your reference.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    Please also check if the PC is up to date. (Type Windows Update in search box, then select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Friday, December 15, 2017 7:14 AM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:48 AM
  • I tried it but it seems no issues in windows file system.

Nihal.k

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Is that the application can work well on other Windows 7 which didn’t install the patch?

Please try to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Update to test if the issue is caused by the update.

Please also check if the PC is up to date. (Type Windows Update in search box, then selectWindows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.)

Here is a link for you to remove the update.

Windows Update: FAQ

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-fa

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Vera Hu Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Yes,

If i install it then it is not causing any crash. Even on other windows 7 where patch is not installed then this issue doesn't happen.

Nihal.k

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Hi Nihal.k,

What’s the meaning of “If i install it then it is not causing any crash.”?

Is that if your PC up to date the application won’t cash? Or if you uninstall the update, the application won’t crash?

Did you try to install the update on other PC which won’t install the update to see if the application crash?

Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:00 AM
  • I mean to say that if i install the update then application crashes and if i uninstall then it doesn't.

If the system is up to date and if it has this particular update installed then application crashes. 

Nihal.k

Friday, December 22, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please provide the application name and version?

I will do more research to test the issue.

If the application is a third party product, please contact with the product vendor to see if the application can’t work well with the new update.

And if the application is deployed by yourself, please connect Windows developer support. Here is link.

Windows developer support:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 9:36 AM
  • The crash is happening due to own deployed application. It does use few third party products. So I am not sure it is happening due to my own application or due to third party.

The stack traces doesn't shows any details except windows dlls.

Nihal.k

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:22 AM