none
Outlook/Exchange Integration with Office 365 (not on-premises)? RRS feed

• Question

• Can Outlook integration be used in FIM with cloud-only Office 365?

We created a mailbox on our FIM Service account and added an email address.  I ran FIM Service and Portal setup and entered the details.  When FIM tried to execute a workflow which sends an email notification, it hung up on trying to send the message (the request stayed in "PostProcessing" status for over an hour before I cancelled it).

We have dozens of event log entries indicating "The Forefront Identity Manager Service cannot connect to the Exchange Web Service".

The connection failure may be due to a network failure, firewall configuration error, or other connection issue.  Additionally, the failure may be due to incorrect Exchange Web Service configuration.

Verify that the Exchange Web Service is reachable from the Forefront Identity Manager Service computer.  Ensure that Exchange is running, that the network connection is active, and that the firewall is configured properly.  Last, ensure that the Exchange Web Service configuration is correct in the Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe.config file.

I just want to know, do we have any hope of accomplishing this without an on-premises Exchange server?  Has anyone else had success with this?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:53 PM

Answers

• AFAIK, using Office365 as the mailbox for the FIM Service is not supported and does not work

David Lundell, Get your copy of FIM Best Practices Volume 1 http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2010/08/book-is-here-fim-best-practices-volume.html

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:25 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, using Office365 as the mailbox for the FIM Service is not supported and does not work

David Lundell, Get your copy of FIM Best Practices Volume 1 http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2010/08/book-is-here-fim-best-practices-volume.html

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:25 PM
  • Hi David, thanks for the response (even if not what I was hoping for). I bought your FIM Best Practices Vol. 1 way back when it was first released... found it to be a very informative and entertaining read.  I have changed employers since then, but still work with FIM daily. Are you planning a Vol. 2? Hope so!

Best regards,
    Jimmy
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:46 PM