Performance impact of enabling "Site usage reporting" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My first post, so be gentle, please :-)

We run an Extranet platform on Sharepoint and several site collection admins have asked to have Site Usage Reporting enabled.

I asked my Sharepoint vendor very quickly and they mentioned the dreaded word "performance impact"

Searching for documentation on the Site Usage reporting, I have been able to gather the following:

- Usage reporting is based on IIS logs (cannot find the source again)
    - Viewing the usage report will generate requests to the SQL db which can have a performance impact depending on how often and how many users view the reports (source)

However, I have a couple of other questions that I was hoping for answers to:

- How often are IIS logs imported and parsed by Sharepoint? Can this be timed to be done at night time?
    - What other factors should be considered when concerned about the performance impact of enabling site usage reporting?
    - What is your experience - is performance impact an issue?

Many thanks in advance,
    Kenneth Darling Soerensen
    Monday, October 27, 2008 10:45 AM

Answers

•  both site usage reporting and site collection usage reporting are under site settings so a user has to have more than contributor rights to see these reports anyway, and in a general environment i dont think a lot of users can.

just see how many users can actually see these reports, we are running a sharepoint farm for almost 40K users and we have these reports enabled everywhere and we dont get any complaints.

i usually run these usage reporting in the night so that we dont get complaints from the users.

hassan
    M. Hassan Raza http://mhrhap.spaces.live.com
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:27 AM

All replies

•  both site usage reporting and site collection usage reporting are under site settings so a user has to have more than contributor rights to see these reports anyway, and in a general environment i dont think a lot of users can.

just see how many users can actually see these reports, we are running a sharepoint farm for almost 40K users and we have these reports enabled everywhere and we dont get any complaints.

i usually run these usage reporting in the night so that we dont get complaints from the users.

hassan
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:27 AM
  • Hi Hassan,

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it. I have decided to enable the service and activate it on one or two site collection to evaluate the load before enabling it on all site collections.

Best regards,
    Kenneth
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:11 AM
  • try using SCOM 2007 with SP1 to monitor your SharePoint farm, if during any process any service is slow you can see it on the dashboards provided by the SharePoint Management Pack for SCOM.

Hassan
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:18 AM