none
DPM 2010 / Server 2008 R2 System State RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Currently have several servers backing up to Primary DPM server. This is all working as expected.
    We have a secondary DPM server which is backing up the primary DPM server. This is where the problem lies.

Data from Primary DPM to Secondary DPM replicates fine, however system state blows out to 10's of GB's daily. Of course the customer does not have the bandwidth available to replicate 10's of GB of data over their wan every day.

So I guess this is a two tiered question.

1. Is this behavior by design?

2. If it is, is there any way I can adjust the sync on the secondary DPM server to be once a week, on say a Saturday early AM? This option is currently not in the GUI.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:34 AM

Answers

• HI,

The xfer is by design because systemstate backup consists of .vhd file created by windows server backup. When the recover point is made on the primary dpm server, that .vhd is overwitten and the DPM filter detect the blocks as changed, so those blocks need to be transfered to the secondary dpm server and applied to it's replica.

The secondary dpm server should inherit the backup schedule from the primary dpm server, so reduce the systemstate backups to once per week on a Saturday on the primary.  For DC's that probably need systemstate backup more frequently, place them in their own PG and take them at night. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:37 AM