Building Windows Server 2012 R2 while MDT running on it RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Not familiar with MDT, but our standard shop build for Server 2012 R2 uses mdt within an ISO image.  During a server build, we boot an ISO image, enter standard network properties (eg. IP, DNS servers, etc), specify a share location where the build files are located, then the 'build' proceeds.  The build files are read from the share location we specified which may take hours due to the distance/network between the server to be built and the share location.  Consequently, the build may take 1.5 hours or 6 hours.

The only option in our build is to format the entire C drive of the server to be built.  Question I have is can mdt work where it would run off a D:\ drive, primary partition, and rebuild the C:\ drive, primary partition?  In other words, can mdt work where we have 1 physical drive split into 2 partitions and the C:\ drive is built from reading the build files on a separate D:\ drive, partition?  We wouldn't have to drag build files over the WAN and take hours just to rebuild a server.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your help! SdeDot

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:16 PM

All replies

• I did think about taking that approach to recovery

Enabling winre in the task sequence and setting PrepareWinRE=YES is cs.ini

then create a separate litetouch boot image and include the standalone deployment folder in the Extra directory to add section of the winpe section of deployment settings.

you could then set the deployroot of that image to the directory included in the winpe image

so when it boots to the recovery it looks at the standalone deployment share directory included in the winpe image for the mdt share.

I choose not to implement this due to my deploymentshare being 25gb.

during the initial deployment it would have to copy the 20gb recovery image adding time and reducing local drive space.

currently I have chosen to leave the deployroot blank of the recovery image so it prompts for a share and credentials then copy a standalone share to the site. but will be moving to usb soloution

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Thanks for the reply PM091.  Will run this by our MDT folks.

Thanks for your help! SdeDot

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:06 PM