Windows Movie Maker Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with Windows Movie Maker for Windows Vista Home Basic...

My camera uses .mov files and originally I could not use them with Windows Movie Maker. I downloaded a codec and now it will play and edit the .mov files, however it will not play the sound. I can add music and things like that, but the original movie audio will not play.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:56 PM

All replies

• What was the codec you used. I have been trying to get this sorted for months and got nowhere but having installed heaps of codecs and converters. I would be happy if i could even just get the video without sound. It's driving me nuts. Any help would be really appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Ocker Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:04 PM
    Friday, November 7, 2008 10:29 AM
  • I am trying also to play ".mov" files in moviemaker and no success.
    Intuitivley changed file extension from ".mov" to ".mpg" and quicktime can play both movie types OK but movie maker will now play the video minus the audio with new filename extension ".mpg" .
    Therefore this proves there is very little or no difference between the 2 file types because quicktime can play this same file whether it has file extension  .mov or .mpg.
    Windows experts should have answers for this basic problem already but I havent seen any solutions.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:14 PM
  • The only solution I've found is to buy Quicktime Pro from Apple Store and convert the .mov file to .avi.

I've tried other 3rd party software and, not sure why, they stop working after a while.  Perhaps this QTPro will also have that problem, we'll see.  It seems there's a general problem with codecs period.  We should legally require open source on this to stop this BS.

• Proposed as answer by Cyberchip Monday, December 6, 2010 10:34 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 10:33 AM
    • 1st : Be extremely careful with so called "codec packs" . They can easily turn a working XP/Vista/7 into trash. Never install various of them, always read the instructions, set restore points, if in doubt roll back Windows to a known working state.  Codecs are a sort of drivers , they plug deeply into all the multimedia components inside windows, not only in WMP or MovieMaker, MediaCenter et al, they hook inside webcamdrivers, sounddrivers and where not else.

Solution follows below..

• 2nd : What will Moviemaker "eat" ?

Moviemaker 6.0 in Vista  ( dont confuse it with the "Live" thing or MM2.6) can natively handle

Video

• DV-AVI (AVI)
    • Windows Media Video (WMV, ASF)
    • DVR-MS (Windows Media Center Vista Premium and Ultimate only, DVR-MS)
    • MPEG-2 (MPEG-2 Program Streams on Vista Premium and Ultimate only, MPG)
    • MPEG-1 (MPG)

Audio

• WAV (WAV)
    • MP3 (MP3)
    • Windows Media Audio (WMA)

see

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pix/archive/2007/03/21/movie-maker-vista-file-format-support.aspx

AVIs are problematic things. AVI is only a container that can have mpegs,mp4s or others inside, using mp3 as sound or again different formats, thats why you sometime see but not hear .. you never know for sure.

• So Moviemaker6 covers a lot of input files and formats, all we need is material that we can convert from "unsupported" into "supported" .

• Here is hope for pure conversion stuff, absolutely free and open source :

A very useful ( linux open source/freeware ) application exists to convert video material from one format into another :

WinFF ,

which uses ffmpeg as its engine but will not install codecs into the OS, thus being a safe solution- it wont touch Vistas internals unlike "Codec Packs" ( Those codec packs mostly also use ffmpeg, but install and register all their codecs around ffmpeg and make it the backend of wmp, mce and so on which is foolish and evil ) .

OpenSOURCE for Windows,Linux etc : http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html

On the page is an installer for Windows which always worked for me, Vista,XP, 32 or 64bit no matter.

you can drag and drop files into the main window and just choose what it should output and where the new file will go. The original remains untouched, meaning you have afterwards say a wmv and a mov/flv/avi whatever of the same source. Please read the pages description. The program is useful and good, i use it in linux a lot ( there is even more format and codecs weiredness ) ..

they have their own forum if you have questions on the usage http://winff.org/forums

In a conversion program like winff you might need to play with settings and see what source and desired new format is best to produce input material for Vista Moviemaker ( 6.0 )

WINFF can even convert Adobe flash , for instance youtube videos ( flv ) into moviemaker editable material ( wmv,avi ) and / or rip out the sound of movies to mp3 format , if you want to have the sound of a video as extra file for post-editing or solo..

Highly recommeded for creative folks ;)

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Wow, you sure said a lot without answering his question about .mov files.  Again, I'll say again, the only thing I've found if you want to edit .mov files in Moviemaker is to convert the Apple .mov file to .wmv or .avi (which occasionally give problems with windows if it doesn't have the codec "natively" with it sometimes doesn't for who knows what reason.)

Answer convert .mov files to .wmv (or .avi) using Quicktime Pro.

Quicktime Pro

I in no way represent Apple, own any apple products other than this one, nor do I own Apple share, nor get any compensation from Apple and in fact wouldn't suggest this if it wasn't for the fact that after 20 years of dealing with Apple trying to out do and hating Windows, I'm surprised that there is this much cooperation.  However, I will admit, that Apple has always offered products to convert to Windows format; and rarely do I ever see it go the other way, and never with any degree of consistency when it's for free.

I am by no means an Apple fan; but, if you want the job done, and right go to the people who made the codec.  Apple QTPro converts into many other types, and does a fantastic job of it.  Worth every penny, notbody was able to consistantly convert .mov files as there are many types of .mov files (hey, it's an Apple thing) many same wrappers (.mov) many different standards inside.

• Proposed as answer by Cyberchip Friday, June 24, 2011 9:01 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:01 PM