none
Maiflow not working after activating database in DR DAG member

Question

• Dear All,

Recently we have migrated from exchange server 2010 to 2013,but still we have the 2010 servers as well in our environment,We have 3 exchange 2013 DAG members two in primary site and one in DR site.

for testing my DR site, i activated one of the mailbox database on the DR mailbox server ,which has a mailbox,i found something strange ,when i send a test email from my 2010 mailbox the DR mailbox is not able to receive the email at the same time if the email is sent from 2013 mailbox the DR mailbox is able to receive the email,even external email is not reaching the DR mailbox,what could be the issue?

Regards

Abubakar Mirasa Dubai,UAE Dubai, Microsoft Specalist

Sunday, November 8, 2015 12:25 PM

Answers

• Ok, I thought the issue was sending from 2010 to the 2013 DR site?

Regardless, I would check network and firewalls perhaps... You dont have any firewall rules preventing the connection the 2010 site to the 2013 DR site do you?

Try this: Add the telnet client role to the 2010 hub server and then try to telnet on port 25 from the 2010 server to the 2013 server that holds the hub role in the DR site and see if you can connect.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by ITSysGuy Monday, November 9, 2015 3:56 AM
    Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Thanks David,

You were right, i was not able to telnet, the telnet response was 220********** when i checked with the network team, i found that, there is firewall between the primary and DR site i.e Cisco ASA, mailgaurd was enabled in the firewall,after disabling that, telnet started working, even the mail flow is working fine now.

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:59 AM

All replies

• What does message tracking show? Follow the trail. Is the message queued somewhere or does it bounce?

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 2:54 PM
  • David Thanks, I got this email after 2 hours. Subject: test This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted. The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 55 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:25 PM
  • David, I want to know if i receive an email from external domain,how is the email routed if i have cas server on both site??

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:30 PM
  • David Thanks, I got this email after 2 hours. Subject: test This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted. The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 55 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

Check message tracking. Its queued somewhere. In the queue where its at, check the reason the message delivery is not working. Im betting someone messed with the default receive connectors on the 2013 side and the 2010 server cant authenticate to them.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:40 PM
  • David, I want to know if i receive an email from external domain,how is the email routed if i have cas server on both site??

That depends. I cant know w/o knowing how external messages enter your org. The CAS has nothing to do with message routing.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:42 PM
  • this is what the queue on 2013 servers says

Server Ex2013MBX.abc.com in domian encountered an error connecting to transport queue on server 2010CAS01.abc.com while getting the status of a pending message.

Regards

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Ok, I thought the issue was sending from 2010 to the 2013 DR site?

Regardless, I would check network and firewalls perhaps... You dont have any firewall rules preventing the connection the 2010 site to the 2013 DR site do you?

Try this: Add the telnet client role to the 2010 hub server and then try to telnet on port 25 from the 2010 server to the 2013 server that holds the hub role in the DR site and see if you can connect.

• Marked as answer by ITSysGuy Monday, November 9, 2015 3:56 AM
    Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Yes david,i am not able to send from 2010 primary site to 2013 DR site,at the same time if i send from 2013 mailbox to DR 2013 mailbox it goes sucessfully.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Thanks David,

You were right, i was not able to telnet, the telnet response was 220********** when i checked with the network team, i found that, there is firewall between the primary and DR site i.e Cisco ASA, mailgaurd was enabled in the firewall,after disabling that, telnet started working, even the mail flow is working fine now.

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:59 AM
  • Andy,

Although the emails are working fine now after disabling the mailguard in firewall,but soon after that users tarted complaining that there is a long delay in receving emails as soon as i reverted the policy back the email flow became normal.

i feel the emails are getting routed to the DR and from there its reacing the users mailbox may be that is the cause of delay?

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:49 AM